Michigan

Searching through Nonfinite's site and Youtube, I can't find any guide showing how to install this thing. I guess I'm going to need something to drill a small hole in the case and some glue to hold the trimpot into place, but I've never soldered anything before so I have no idea what to do with the wires. Any help on adding this to my DMG would be greatly appreciated.

[edit]

Whelp, going to have to wait to put the backlight in anyways. I seemed to have stripped one of the screws on the back of the DMG. Not to mention the ones I took out also left quite a bit of metal flakes on the tip of the tri-wing, not really sure if it was my fault or not. Anyway, what screws could I replace my current ones with?

Last edited by Kura (Dec 9, 2014 2:23 am)

For your screwy problem, anything that has the same length and thread pattern should suffice. I actually just stole several out of one of my old laptop cases that miraculously fit perfectly for one of my DMG's. For the varia suit, i have two installed, both in same spot, but i didn't glue them. one has pieces of an old credit card chopped up to fit below the battery case, and the other is the same but has a AAA auto club card that expired. Plus, i thought nonfinite had a video showing a good place to mount it?
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUnTF3p … vnO1fwRSHw[/link]
Btw i mounted mine like on the grey one a minute or so in, on the bottom
[edit]
this video shows everything you need to know for soldering the backlight in place. At 4:13 he shows you where to attach the wires, just solder one to the varia suit, then take that wire to the hot, the point that is below the contrast dial on the left side. The ground goes to the battery connector. Low profile, and easy to get the case closed in the end. and google soldering pointers/technique if you are worried about lack of experience.
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmE3ztwCvcg[/link]

Last edited by aka_duffman (Dec 9, 2014 7:04 am)

Michigan

Thanks so much for all the info. Sadly, I accidentally ripped a bit of the diffusion film on the backlight when I was working on installing it, so It'll be a few weeks before I can put any of this knowledge to good use. Protip: any task that requires physical finesse shouldn't be done at 1:30 in the morning.

this is true. I have been rebuilding and repairing electronics for years, so about 6 months ago when i did my first backlight, i already had a good handle on most of the things needed. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Michigan

Necrobump.

After a month of waiting, all my stuff should be coming within this next week. Just got the backlight and am probably going to install it tonight. On the way is an easy_ps/2, 1/8 prosound jack, and some rad looking buttons.

SYD

These are all mods I'm going to be doing! So I'm kee to hear how you go!!

Michigan

Thanks. I can't wait to finally get this dmg up and running. LSDJ+bgb just isn't the same. Plus, I can finally play Metroid II: Return of Samus with a nice illuminated screen.

Michigan

[Redacted]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_Ed6wjwBI
How have I not managed to find this video for so long? On the bright side, this is the definitive answer on how to install the variasuit, so hopefully others unsure of how to do it can look up this thread. Damn, I could've used this months ago (if I hadn't wrecked my first backlight). Lesson learned I guess.

Last edited by Kura (Jan 23, 2015 11:09 pm)

Michigan

Bumping with some progress. I have the holes drilled and everything fits into place and the prosound is in, which is great. I also replaced the power LED with an orange one; however, I might have damaged the board putting it in. The edges around the two soldering pads are a bit burnt on the bottom. How bad is this?
[Edit]
Just did a power test, the backlight looks beautiful, but the power LED is unresponsive. Kind of hoping I have it in reversed or something. Anyway, I'll try to finish this up tomorrow.

Last edited by Kura (Jan 29, 2015 3:50 am)

Michigan

Good news, everything works except for there's no panning for the left/right for the pro-sound, but a re-solder should fix that, I think.
Bad news, while I was removing some screws to fix the pro-sound, the orange wire for the backlight disconnected itself from the plastic tab below the light. I have no idea how to fix this. Does it just solder onto the pad? It looks like there's a bronze/copper colored film thing on the solder for the wire too.
What do I do?

Last edited by Kura (Jan 30, 2015 11:50 pm)

Michigan

Now with an image

Couldn't I just solder the wire anywhere on the negative, lighter orange area?