Riverside, CA

In 2012 and this year, 52 each year (Weekly Beats muhfugguh!)
Also random one off remixes every couple months too.

barf
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

This year I wrote probably 10 hours worth of ideas, loops and general snippets and released one track. I'm too self critical to just get over myself and release shit.

the panacea: stick the 10 hours of ideas, loops and general snippets together in a row, release one track

Whateverville, California

For real though, I try to write a song a week. On average I spend probably 3-5 hours a day tracking. Lately that time hasn't translated into finished songs because I've been getting into LSDJ finally. My Famitracker workflow has slowed to a crawl too due to experimenting with expansion channels. So yeah, I guess it's a good thing to learn and write and not release songs. Hopefully when I do get around to making some releases my output will be better quality.

Wrote 11 songs this year.

Actually *compose* ? Around ten maybe.
I usually improvise and jam, then arrange and cut later.

I think I've recorded 4.5 hours of material in 2014 that I would consider tracks. Some of them released, some of them just uploaded to Soundcloud.

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 20, 2014 6:14 pm)

UK, Leicester
Saskrotch wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

It's not uncommon for me to put 10-20 hours into a song

okay for real if this is considered an above average amount of time to spend on a song i'm officially super embarrassed about how long it takes me me to write tracks that can't even come close to yours

quote for truth

like 4 actual songs, loads and loads of half finished or "ideas" of songs though, like 20ish of them

Oklahoma City, OK

This year? I think like, close to 20 or so. And at least 3 of those are covers. Per year it varies anyway so idk really. But, I usually take a LONGGG time with writing tracks because I'm very perfectionist and critical of my own work. I also have a few more that I've sketched out but haven't put into LSDJ or Famitracker or whatever I'm writing for yet.

Last edited by DBOYD (Dec 20, 2014 7:58 pm)

nashville,tn

It really depends. Last year it was 9. Some years it's been 30-40.. Composing from scratch is my favorite, that emotion when a musical notion begins to coalesce into a singular idea is pretty special.as a result I start something new almost daily, a lyric, a beat, a riff, an arrangement idea, etc. It's rare that something comes to me fully formed. As a result, I may spend months or years trying to finish an arrangement or lyric. I've found that the instrument im using to compose on  has a huge impact on how I finish a song. For example, transferring  a guitar riff to nanoloop leads to a very different composition from writing exclusively on guitar, or bass, keyboard, organ, piano, etc.Also starting with a beat vs. a baseline, chords vs. riffs, etc. I have to admit I don't feel a need to finish a song unless it fits in with a specific release or I want to have new material for a show. Having said that, I fall into the camp that says an audience is a vital part of the completion. Live and recorded music have two very different sets of creative issues surrounding them. There are things I've played live I'll never perform again or record and vice versa.

Brunswick, GA USA
BeatScribe wrote:

That and man, if you come up with finished songs very fast, doesn't that make you more awesome smile ?

Absolutely not. The shock value of watching someone spew a tune quickly goes away when you realize the person is resorting to the same habit repeatedly without trying to break it.

Chicago, IL
chunter wrote:
BeatScribe wrote:

I didn't write that...

But I agree, spewing out songs quickly usually means you're recycling...Lately, I'm trying to write with different time signatures, keys, and tempos just to get out of a rut..

Brunswick, GA USA

Sorry, must have got lost in the sea of nested quotes...

Noosa,QLD,Australia

3-5 maybe. If I feel like it. Also way to many unfinished things.

I think as much as its easy to get lost in the same habitual patterns, its easy to get stuck in the desperation to break them

I guess its one of the many things that needs a healthy balance

Reggae has never dropped the off beat chord, and its never got boring..

People like techno, and that is pretty habitual

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:30 pm)

Gosford, Australia

heaps. only got half way through weeklybeats this year but i've probably written as much stuff as there are weeks in a year i guess!

i don't usually spend more than 6 hours on anything in FL. used to take quite a lot longer to track stuff in LSDJ but my methods have gotten more efficient.

France (au milieu)

depends on the year... it's not very linear... nor... trully organized, on my side...