Planet Zaxxon

It was rather hard to select a winner since you all wrote some nice things but I have finally chosen one:

Congratulations to:

mysteria

You will be the happy owner of an OPL3 Laptop package!!! smile

And runner up goes to:

Xuriik

Enjoy those baby FM sounds!

And 2nd runner up goes to:

tape_loop

For manipulating those beats!!

If the announced winners could PM me there address, that would be coo!! I will most likely contact you are individually as well, if I dont hear from you.

Thanks to all who participated!!

Planet Zaxxon

here is mysteria's submission in case anyone was curious:

mysteria wrote:

About 15 years ago, a little girl asked Santa for a Game Boy Color. I remember turning it on and leaving it on the menu screen on Link's Awakening just to listen to the music while I watched TV. By the time second grade rolled around, everyone was listening to N*Sync, while I had an obsession with Zelda and The Beach Boys. As I got older, I realized that these games weren't revolutionary and there were many like them, with even better music. My older sister had an NES (that she never told me about! *ugh*), that I discovered in the attic. I began playing her games and I was infatuated with them.

Quite a few years later I looked up where to find the music I loved as a child, I then found the realm of chip music. People still make this? I obviously wasn't around to see the glory days, but who knew that there was a community out there that enjoyed the stuff I enjoyed. I began exploring 8bitpeoples, and found that there was a documentary on all of this. So, I watched Reformat The Planet and almost cried from excitement! I had no idea that there were *others* out there. I guess living in Macon (nowherenearanythingexciting) Georgia didn't help either. I heard about this festival, Blip Festival, in NYC. Unfortunately I never made it up there, but I'm hoping one day it'll happen again. There isn't that big of a chiptune scene here in Georgia. So having this online community was so exciting.

When I started exploring, I first found Smiletron, Nullsleep, Covox, Bit Shifter, and you. I grabbed up 2 Le Chip 2 Quit, and a handful of singles from other artists. They reminded me of the excitement and clarity of being a child. They brought me back to a place in life where nothing else mattered except begin able to come home from school and crank up the Game Boy. Now, I've come to a deeper appreciation for the music and those who write it. Over the years, I have begun to write music, with chiptunes as my foundation.

I began making music on Ableton (I guess as most "producers" do nowadays). I had no idea what i was doing and I spent most of my time with my head buried in the Ableton Live x Power, and my face glued to YouTube tutorials. 3 years later decided I wanted to DJ. Nowhere in Atlanta would book me if I played chiptunes, so I pulled a not-so-fast one and played dubstep (the only thing Atlanta could enjoy at the time) while integrating chiptunes into my sets. But then DJing got lame and I felt empty inside from playing out other people's music. It wasn't fair how I could be having all of the fun on stage while these other people were busy making the music and I knew how much work went into it. So now, I'm back to square one and producing again.

/*My apologies, I totally went over on words, so I'll wrap it up.*/

If I were to receive this prize, it would help me to expand my horizons with producing music. This is a technology I have longed to learn for years, but I have never gotten the chance to simply because I have no idea where to start. If I were to learn this, I believe I could have an opportunity to bring the joy of chiptunes to a part of the United States it hasn't quite reached yet. I want future generations to have the opportunity to experience and enjoy this music as I did. I want this music to live on.

Long live Lo-Fi.
Long live MS-DOS.
Long live the OPL3.

USA, Maryland
Radlib wrote:

here is mysteria's submission in case anyone was curious:

mysteria wrote:

About 15 years ago, a little girl asked Santa for a Game Boy Color. I remember turning it on and leaving it on the menu screen on Link's Awakening just to listen to the music while I watched TV. By the time second grade rolled around, everyone was listening to N*Sync, while I had an obsession with Zelda and The Beach Boys. As I got older, I realized that these games weren't revolutionary and there were many like them, with even better music. My older sister had an NES (that she never told me about! *ugh*), that I discovered in the attic. I began playing her games and I was infatuated with them.

Quite a few years later I looked up where to find the music I loved as a child, I then found the realm of chip music. People still make this? I obviously wasn't around to see the glory days, but who knew that there was a community out there that enjoyed the stuff I enjoyed. I began exploring 8bitpeoples, and found that there was a documentary on all of this. So, I watched Reformat The Planet and almost cried from excitement! I had no idea that there were *others* out there. I guess living in Macon (nowherenearanythingexciting) Georgia didn't help either. I heard about this festival, Blip Festival, in NYC. Unfortunately I never made it up there, but I'm hoping one day it'll happen again. There isn't that big of a chiptune scene here in Georgia. So having this online community was so exciting.

When I started exploring, I first found Smiletron, Nullsleep, Covox, Bit Shifter, and you. I grabbed up 2 Le Chip 2 Quit, and a handful of singles from other artists. They reminded me of the excitement and clarity of being a child. They brought me back to a place in life where nothing else mattered except begin able to come home from school and crank up the Game Boy. Now, I've come to a deeper appreciation for the music and those who write it. Over the years, I have begun to write music, with chiptunes as my foundation.

I began making music on Ableton (I guess as most "producers" do nowadays). I had no idea what i was doing and I spent most of my time with my head buried in the Ableton Live x Power, and my face glued to YouTube tutorials. 3 years later decided I wanted to DJ. Nowhere in Atlanta would book me if I played chiptunes, so I pulled a not-so-fast one and played dubstep (the only thing Atlanta could enjoy at the time) while integrating chiptunes into my sets. But then DJing got lame and I felt empty inside from playing out other people's music. It wasn't fair how I could be having all of the fun on stage while these other people were busy making the music and I knew how much work went into it. So now, I'm back to square one and producing again.

/*My apologies, I totally went over on words, so I'll wrap it up.*/

If I were to receive this prize, it would help me to expand my horizons with producing music. This is a technology I have longed to learn for years, but I have never gotten the chance to simply because I have no idea where to start. If I were to learn this, I believe I could have an opportunity to bring the joy of chiptunes to a part of the United States it hasn't quite reached yet. I want future generations to have the opportunity to experience and enjoy this music as I did. I want this music to live on.

Long live Lo-Fi.
Long live MS-DOS.
Long live the OPL3.

well....damn XD never mind me she deserves that

Puerto Rico

HOLY SHIT THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thank you for being such a friend to the community, thank you for giving us this opportunity, I can only wish you the best. I am SO STOKED for that keyboard! big_smile

Portame, bOregon

Thx Radlib! I'ma definitely weird up some sequences, no doubt!

Mysteria dropped the mic and it just kept on falling, though. That was some beautiful writing; she is a most deserving #1 Grand Prize winner. Congrats!

Planet Zaxxon

PRIZES UPDATE!!!!!!!

I am sourcing all the boxes and packaging this week, so I can ship out by the latest next week. smile

Planet Zaxxon

Sorry about the delay guys (CT has been hit with a lot of snow) but I have shipped out your prizes this morning to the following peoples:

Mysteria
Xuriik
tape_loop
snesei
ledmachine
metaronnaut

I will send out the remaining cd winners within the next day or so:

2PLAYER
Imaginary
Beware
The One Electronic
b4by f4c3

but I have not received a shipping address from the following persons:

Adam D. Seats

TSSBAY01

not gonna lie, a tear came to my eye reading mysteria's submission :`) hope you enjoy it. thank you for being completely, completely fucking awesome carl.

Planet Zaxxon

All prizes have been shipped, (except for Adam D Seats!!!) So if you don't see anything by end of next week, let me know.. Thanks to all who participated!!

-Radlib

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

not gonna lie, a tear came to my eye reading mysteria's submission :`) hope you enjoy it. thank you for being completely, completely fucking awesome carl.

hey thank ye man!! smile

Detroit

Yoooo my CD just came in, hella shout out for Radlib for this~

Puerto Rico

heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

I might be biased, but this is probably the nicest thread on cm.o

ohgodno, Indiana

thanks for the CD!!

Whateverville, California

I got my copy of The Arrival in the mail yesterday. It's super sweet. I'm gad to have been a part of this project. Congratz and good on ya to everybody who wrote something!

Chips & Dip :3

I'm rockin' out to that CD!!!! Thanks again!!! big_smile

Planet Zaxxon

Hey thanks for the words guys, enjoy those gifts !!! smile