I am currently in the process of recording my first bunch of finished LSDJ songs to the computer. I am recording them track by track all hard panned to the Left. Once inside Logic I am using the Gain plug-in to invert the right channel and make the track mono, this cancels all noise out from the recording as a pissbox does and allows me to EQ each layer of music separately, and add reverb/delay to four different tracks rather than my previous restriction of 2 tracks.

Anyway I had two questions i'd like to see what the community thinks about recording and mastering at this level, and also possibly adding drums to the logic project from a place that isn't a DMG, do people think its a cool idea to get a higher quality sound at the end of things, or are there purists who think straying too far from a DMG is not what they are about, obviously everyone has a right to an opinion on how they think something should be done, and no one has a right o dictate how someone else does something but I'm just simply curious about peoples thoughts, cos I've been thinking a lot about it myself.

second question is, has anyone done production like this before? any tips?

peace

Abandoned on Fire

It's funny that you ask because the pissbox was inspired by a thread from EvilWezil on doing the exact recording process you're describing:  http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6976/ … inversion/

I made the pissbox to do the inversion in realtime and to save a step in the recording process.  Also for performance but that has turned out to not be an issue now that I've got several shows under my belt.

Last edited by egr (Feb 6, 2015 4:03 am)

IL, US

and honestly, the noise reduction built into audacity sort of works the same way on stereo recordings, you just need a little lead-in/lead-out of what is supposed to be silent (but is really just any noise youd be getting on the recording from the device/cable/imperfections in your soundcard)

interesting!

NC in the US of America

Just do whatever tf you want. "Higher quality" is subjective.

For example, reverb on chippytunes generally makes me wan to barf (especially when it's done in a DAW like flstudio and stuff) but some people love it. Just do whatever sounds cool to you.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Feb 6, 2015 4:51 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea verb is highly subjective.. i like a little slap just to give a sense of space. Noise reduction tends to give too many artifacts for my taste, im happy with a simple noise gate and let the mix bury any noise.

NC in the US of America

i've found the default setting on audacity to be sufficient without having any glaring artifacts. If i run it multiple times instead of adjusting the settings it removes as much noise as i want without it sounding like it's underwater.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Feb 6, 2015 5:33 pm)

yeah its interesting what I'm doing with chiptune because the whole point is reverb and delay, i'm learning how to make it work at the minute, but its with a physcial analogue reverb, through and actual spring.
Someone said to me in another thread Disrupts reggae riddim album made on a gameboy was too simple and LSDJ tecniques were not good enough giving a very simple sound, but that is kind of exactly what reggae riddim is about is simplicity nailed, with good bass and good lead and good delay/reverb.

Also in regards to audacity the reason i do it this way is for mixing and mastering - it's just a little better to do in logic with the mixer and the buses etc

IL, US

you do realize you can export as wav from audacity and import into logic for multi-tracking and mastering, right?

yeah of course maybe just lazy, i'll try tomorrow and compare the results