Chicago, IL

I was going thru some old files and I found this. It was a kickstarter from a few years back. The game never did come out. But I thought it was interesting to see a well known orchestral composer's take on 8-bit chip music.

I was talking to him a long time ago and he said he used OmniCore to make it. I thought it was interesting to hear the approach of someone without all the background of chip. and man, that overworld map theme is gorgeous.

Whateverville, California

Wow, he nailed it. Really nice use of vibrato.

NC in the US of America

Cool big_smile Sounds like video game music.

I thought it was interesting to hear the approach of someone without all the background of chip.

Reminds me of the good ol' days before video game music was called "chip"

Montreal, Canada
SketchMan3 wrote:

Cool big_smile Sounds like video game music.

I thought it was interesting to hear the approach of someone without all the background of chip.

Reminds me of the good ol' days before video game music was called "chip"

To be honest.. I still don't call this chipmusic. To me, that's just music, made for games, that happens to run on a console with limited sound hardware. I know I'm part of a tiny minority and somewhat of a self-jerking purist about it, but "chiptunes" were invented in the Amiga demoscene by people who were nostalgic about their C64. I know things evolve organically and now a new generation of people are nostalgic for whatever machine they grew up with and that's why we're pretty much seeing a 90/10 ratio of nes and gameboy versus everything else. BUT IM OLD AND I NEED TO SHAKE MY CANE AT PEOPLE AND BLAME YOU DAMN YOUNGSTERS FOR SOMETHING.

That said though. This soundtrack fucking nails the NES sound perfectly.

Chicago, IL

The entire OST is amazing, although I'm not at liberty to share it. It was a kickstarter gift which he gave even though his KS failed. It's like my aspirational NES RPG soundtrack.

Gosford, Australia
n00bstar wrote:

BUT IM OLD AND I NEED TO SHAKE MY CANE AT PEOPLE AND BLAME YOU DAMN YOUNGSTERS FOR SOMETHING.

Montreal, Canada

Hahaha that's exactly what I had in my when I was writing that. It's missing the end though, the most important part: IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU TOO!

Michigan

Where can I find the OmniCore program? I would like to have a sound like this, but all my Google searches go to some health group...

Chicago, IL
Princedmorn wrote:

Where can I find the OmniCore program? I would like to have a sound like this, but all my Google searches go to some health group...

That's my fault. it's omniSphere. I should mention he said he made custom configs for it, so it doesn't sound like this out of the box.