If my only option is between a color and advance, which should I get?

I've read here http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … e_consoles

It seems that GBA is better than GBC in that comparison, but GBA is 32bit and GBC is 8bit? Or does the GBA have a 8bit for the sounds, I don't quite understand the wikipage. How difficult is it to mod the GBC with "prosound", and would it sound better?

South Korea

A few questions that will help you decide.
1. Is it a regular GBA or a GBA SP? (the SP is backlit, which is AWESOME for writing/playing in the dark, and the SP button layout is similar to DMG/GBC)
2. Will you be using it for LSDJ? (do NOT get a regular GBA, the position of the start and select buttons make it almost impossible to use with LSDJ)
3. Will you be gaming on it? (can't play GBA games on a GBC)
4. How is your soldering skills? (you can modify a regular GBA to have the shoulder buttons act as select/start, and you can prosound + frontlight a GBC. If you are junk at soldering, DO NOT EVEN TRY TO MOD A GAME BOY BECAUSE YOU WILL FUCK IT UP)

Sound wise the GBC is known for being shit, but if you are just starting out with LSDJ I'd still recommend it over the GBA as it's easier to use, and can always be modded/improved later.
If you are mostly going to use nanoloop, go for the GBA.

Thanks a lot! I wouldn't say I'm good at soldering, only done some stuff with an arduino, where I made a short circuit by mistake. xD

I won't game on it, and it's a regular gameboy i talk about (SP is quite expensive I've seen), so I guess GBC is the way to go then.

May I also ask if there is any difference in sound in DMG and pocket?

EDIT: Nvm my last question, checked out the comparison regarding the pocket.

Last edited by Kalle-ftw (Mar 18, 2015 4:46 pm)

South Korea

I own a GBC, GBA SP, and a Pocket, and honestly, the Pocket is my least favorite for regular use.
It takes AAA batteries which run out super fast, and it's just a bit too small for my hands, but it sounds nice, so I use it for recording.
If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Color now, and then keep my eyes open for a cheap working DMG.
If you aren't 100% confident in your soldering abilities, rather don't mod, because ANY working Game Boy is better than a broken one.

Color all the way.
Easy to internal pro-sound and "broken" ones can be had for around $15 on ebay.
(maybe evn less if you're persistent)
9 times out of ten those just need to be cleaned or need a new speaker, which is no biggie.

Front-lighting a color is difficult, either method, but once you do a couple of them successfully, there's not much you can't do.
I suggest modding a couple for the challenge and experience.

I did the noise filtering/bass enhancement mod here on cm.o and it really made the sound on my cgb 10x better. The regular output on cgb is really atrocious afterwards. There's a lot of hum, zero bass, and noise. With the mod you get very clear sound, and it works great with headphones (though can be a little loud at times).

Huntsville, AL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

This is the best tutorial on soldering I've ever seen, but I guess they are charging for it now.

Thanks for all response, I will go for a color then and keep my eyes open on a DMG.