Hi fellow chipmusicians!
I'm not entirely new to creating chiptunes neither to basic software mixing/mastering and I'm not creating this topic without having read through a lot on this topic on different forums, watching through different videos and tutorials etc.
I used to compose and produce music with a friend before, but now I'm getting into music on my own and I can't seem to find were the problem lies.
So here's the deal:
I recorded my track created in LSDJ through a ProSound modded DMG via my EMU 0404 USB- Soundcard.
*To maintain a good quality throughout the mixing/mastering process I always record at 48k/24-bit
(Sometimes I do a noise reduction on the recorded song based on the noise floor from the DMG when it's not playing any sound.)
So I continue the mastering process and I get to a point where I feel kind of satisfied. (Although I still have some problems cutting out sharp n' irritating highs)
I compare this 'master' on my studio headphones (AKG k271 mk2) which I use for the monitoring during the mastering process with the sound from my consumer speakers (harman/kardon Go+Play) and I still feel OK satisfied with the result.
Then I upload it to soundcloud and then my track suffers from some heavy compression artifacts.
I've been following several guides on how to make the master/product as 'clean' as possible and even give room for the compressor to do it's thing..
But it still suffers from the same artifacts. I don't know if it's me or if it's something about my equipment that's not working the way it should.
I know it's weak to blame the equipment, but I honestly don't know anymore...
So please, tell me what I'm doing wrong!
All suggestions and tricks are very welcome!
Thx in advance