this emulator seems to jump, skip and slow down a lot when i play it a song in lsdj. it doesn't do it a huge amount, but enough to be annoying

using the latest version of bgb but outdated version of lsdj

any tips for that?

Unsubscribe

did you turn frameskip off? I think its set to auto by default.

Sweeeeeeden

First off, are you sure it's BGB that is causing it and not LSDj? Try changing the CPU type in the settings to Gameboy Color and see if it goes away. (If this is the problem, the same thing would happen on DMG hardware as well, and you should ideally optimize your table use.)

If the skipping is in BGB, try the following:
* Make sure you actually have the latest version, 1.5.1.
* Do you know if you have changed any settings in BGB? If so what? Try running BGB with a clean configuration, ie delete, or better yet, temporarily rename the ini file and try running it again.
* Try increasing the audio latency value in the sound settings.
* Try increasing the process priority to high using the Windows task manager, in the process tab.
* If you are using link cable emulation between two BGB instances, try disabling the "reduce input latency" setting.

And a few questions:
* What's your OS and system stats? (CPU type, CPU frequency, RAM)
* Could you describe the skipping further? Are audio and video equally affected, or just one or the other? Do you hear gaps in the audio, like static or shhort periods of silence, or is it just the placement of the notes that is affcted?

If some of the above solved the problem, please tell me which thing did it. I will forward this to BGB, and will help him make the emulator better in the future.

herr_prof wrote:

did you turn frameskip off? I think its set to auto by default.

This won't really help. Frameskip means that BGB will try to skip rendering frames if it's behind, to get back in pace and run at correct speed averaged over time. Turning off frame skip means that every frame will be rendered, even if rendering is behind, which means that execution will slow down. Perhaps not really what you want.

nitro2k01 wrote:

First off, are you sure it's BGB that is causing it and not LSDj? Try changing the CPU type in the settings to Gameboy Color and see if it goes away. (If this is the problem, the same thing would happen on DMG hardware as well, and you should ideally optimize your table use.)

If the skipping is in BGB, try the following:
* Make sure you actually have the latest version, 1.5.1.
* Do you know if you have changed any settings in BGB? If so what? Try running BGB with a clean configuration, ie delete, or better yet, temporarily rename the ini file and try running it again.
* Try increasing the audio latency value in the sound settings.
* Try increasing the process priority to high using the Windows task manager, in the process tab.
* If you are using link cable emulation between two BGB instances, try disabling the "reduce input latency" setting.

And a few questions:
* What's your OS and system stats? (CPU type, CPU frequency, RAM)
* Could you describe the skipping further? Are audio and video equally affected, or just one or the other? Do you hear gaps in the audio, like static or shhort periods of silence, or is it just the placement of the notes that is affcted?

If some of the above solved the problem, please tell me which thing did it. I will forward this to BGB, and will help him make the emulator better in the future.

The only thing from above which helped was changing the priority in task manager,It still did not entirely resolve the issue though. Perhaps this suggests the problem is my PC.

PC SPEC:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3.00GHz
GFX: 550 GTX
RAM: 4GB

Further info about the problem: The slow downs mainly occur when 2 BGBs are linked, I dunno why I didn't mention that in the OP. It sounds like the audio is lagging and also skipping frames. For example sometimes a sound will play out longer than it is supposed to but other times it will skip sounds entirely. There are also very short (ms) of silence at times.

I believe the slowdown effects both video and audio.

Sweeeeeeden

Do you see a difference if you set graphics output to GDI?

NC in the US of America
nitro2k01 wrote:

+1 for adjusting the graphics output. that's what fixed the problems for me.

SketchMan3 wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

+1 for adjusting the graphics output. that's what fixed the problems for me.

Ahh... This doesn't work either. Even when the graphics output is set to null it still stutters etc.