Thanks Komet & N00b for keeping it going forward. I really love how this tracker *sounds* but have yet to tough out making a full track yet haha.

Montreal, Canada

Well take a look at my tutorials here: http://n00bstar.blogspot.ca/

If you have any questions you can email me directly, my address is somewhere on that blog smile

n00bstar wrote:

Hmm yeah there's definitely a problem in the disk access routine. I'd say about half the crashes I get are right before/after or during a save. The addition of a disk access call when you check the song statistics is perhaps not the way to go either. For example, if you click on song statistics and select 'no' to the overwrite box, it crashes just about 100% of the time.

The other half of the crashes I get are related to multitasking and mini/maximizing the window. A lot of times the screen goes entirely black if you alt-tab  in and out of the application. The only way to get the graphics back is to minimize and maximize the window a few times....which often makes it crash rather than fix the problem.

Fucking hell. Windows restarted and I thought I managed to click "submit reply" in time. DO THEY EVEN USE THEIR OWN OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Anyways, I noticed there's a bug in the file selector and it keeps looping in the overwrite prompt if you click "no". So you are forced to overwrite (good thing there's that backup now EH EH?) There's definitely something weird in there. I did change the way songs are saved so there might also be something weird happening. Need debug magick to see if the memory allocation is broken. Of course it again works perfectly on all the computers I have access to.

Could you try checking if disabling "render to texture" (prefs menu) helps with the resize crashes? I remember you use quite a large window so that might cause some trouble because the texture needs to be quite large too (and maybe it runs out of memory).

Also, yoyz2k, n00bstar is an asshole but so am I so it's a match made in heaven. Has something to do with the latitudes.

(I do agree users are generally a bit too entitled even for free software, or expect software to do more than they paid for. Funnily enough, the less they pay, the more they expect.)

Last edited by kometbomb (Mar 26, 2015 8:02 am)

Montreal, Canada

DO THEY EVEN USE THEIR OWN OPERATING SYSTEMS.

hahahaha. that got me LOLing out loud in IRL life.

I use 1920x1200, maximized, with x2 pixel resolution yeah. Disabling textures doesn't seem to affect it.  I did find a 100% repro on the bug though, so that's good: Maximize the window (not full screen mode, just double clicking on the top bar) and then minimize it by clicking the Klystrack icon on the taskbar.Click again to bring it back up and it will be black.

Managed to reproduce it. Thanks for that, should help.

I got the current github version to build on mac, having some problems (looking in the wrong place for /res/ directory, can't add patterns to sequencer), but I'll keep trying to get it working. It makes noises.

Main problems were

- in makefile, using echo -n doesn't work - switched to printf "%s"
- need to add -framework Cocoa to SSDLLIBS for SDL to work

That's it!

diff : https://gist.github.com/minikomi/5503c205ffd79f09082a

Nice! I wonder what causes that pattern insert bug. Could you please try to debug void add_sequence(int channel, int position, int pattern, int offset) (event.c:692), perhaps it doesn't receive parameters correctly. That is, add something like

debug("add_sequence(%d, %d, %d)", channel, position, offset)

in the very beginning of the function and see if the parameters make sense.

Chips & Dip :3

Looks interesting! I'll check it out when I get home!

Montreal, Canada

Strange new problem...

After running the latest version and closing it, the .klystrack config file makes the whole thing crash at start up. Even older versions crash. I had to delete the config file to be able to run it again.

OK, I added the debug line.

Depending on which channel, the first number changes but it's always 0 0 for the position / offset

[DEBUG] add_sequence(0, 0, 0)
[DEBUG] add_sequence(1, 0, 0)

etc.

I tried opening a song and .. maybe the sequences are being created but it's a UI problem? Here's what I see when I play a song.

https://gfycat.com/HastyMammothBumblebee

n00bstar: Can you reproduce that? Even just the offending config file would be nice. Also, I couldn't reproduce the black screen problem at home which makes me suspect it has something to do with the graphics drivers (it happens on this older laptop at work which has a shitty GPU).

mk: Ha! It is *that* bug. The sequence editor (and most of the pattern editor) is not visible due to a bug in the gfx driver. You need to disable rendering to texture, SDL has the bounding rectangle upside down for some reason when rendering to an OpenGL texture. It works correctly if rendering directly on the screen (the only thing you'll lose is some chunky pixels in a few places if you use the larger pixel sizes). I saw a fix posted for that bug but I don't know when they will update the library itself.

Last edited by kometbomb (Mar 27, 2015 7:52 am)

OK, so i made sure that

d->render_to_texture = false;

within klystron (brute forced it - just added it in to gfx.c) and I can see everything now! Now to find out what's going wrong with the res folder ....

There's an option for that also, no need to brute force it. The preferences menu has it and you can also hardcode it if you like within the klystrack code (action.c:583).

ah shit! ok hahaha will give it a try on the weekend.

╱╲╱╲╱╲╱

Hi.

Really nice tracker, has some bugs though.. (can't browse files/folders from klystrack sometimes)

How do you insert 'brakes'? I know that there's an 0ECx command that cuts the note after x ticks. I mean, the 'key release' command, y'know, that's marked with a square in most trackers.

Thanks. smile Can you give a more specific situation when the file browser fails? It seems I am getting swamped in bugs that simply don't happen here.

Hit 1 in the note column to enter a note off. Same goes for the legato/slide/vibrato columns. You can also use a command to release a note (F1 shows a list of all commands).