NUMBSKULL
Apes*** wrote:
catskull wrote:

how do you get the jack mount hold so clean? Drill it and then file like crazy?

My rule is "Dremel a little, file a lot". I dremel the rough cut, and go at it with 2 or 3 different shaped files, and then I wet sand it smooth. Sometimes I cut out a template on my plotter, but in this case it was all done by eye and repeated checking.

Man, mad respect for you. That must take an insane amount of patience! How long would you estimate it takes to get the jack looking that clean?

Soon...

› Show Spoiler

NUMBSKULL

Just put my ems 64 usb cart in a green pirate cart shell. Also, my custom pulsar cart. I made both labels myself.

Seattle, WA
Timbob wrote:

Soon...

› Show Spoiler

How do you do such smooth gradients? I can never get it quite right.

Dire Hit wrote:
Timbob wrote:

Soon...

› Show Spoiler

Probably the paint smile
I use Montana black or mtn94, both low pressure paints, and the skinny caps that come with the mtn94 cans are really smooth.

Although I am looking for new paint at the moment.

But most cans I find are high pressure and that makes it hard to do a smooth gradient.

nowhere in particular

New DMG arrived in the post today courtesy of ASM:

Not shown but it has a matching green power LED and a rather spiffy white biverted screen.

This completes my beautiful set of three:

The other two also have matching power LEDs and white screens (which should've been, but aren't biverted).

And I will be replacing the black silicone buttons on the black/red one with red buttons so it matches properly.

With the arrival of the purple/green one my dream collection is complete. And as long as ASM don't release a new colour shell that would go well with the transparent orange, my money is safe.

Melbourne

wow they look great! I only got my first DMG about a week ago (just black with white buttons) but I'm already considering getting another one to mod. ARGH I can tell it's gonna be an expensive hobby!

Timbob wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

Probably the paint smile
I use Montana black or mtn94, both low pressure paints, and the skinny caps that come with the mtn94 cans are really smooth.

Although I am looking for new paint at the moment.

But most cans I find are high pressure and that makes it hard to do a smooth gradient.

You can lower the pressure of a can by turning it upside down and spraying, this will release pressure without wasting paint, you also are better off using a NY FAT CAP not a skinny, a skinny will give your very dense line and when you are doing a fade or a gradient you are looking for a soft line

I think you will find pressure is not an issue if you don't use a skinny cap, you would use a skinny to outline something ( as in define something)

Any way hope this helps y'all, if you want me to explain anything else just shoot

Austin, TX

Haven't completed any GB projects recently, but I made these two late last year,

Red DMG - Nothing special, just backlight & internal prosound with simple aesthetic stuff, but I loved how clean it turned out. Sold it to someone here I think.

Custom Commissioned Octatrack Midi Boy - Lengthy custom build for a dude in the UK. He wanted to use it specifically with an Octatrack and wanted the colors to match.
Black Kitsch Shell, White ASM Retro Density Backlight, 1/4" & 1/8" Prosound (OG Headphone PCB removed), ThursdayCustoms Hex-DMG mod, White Buttons, Black Screen Cover, Speaker Intact, and the icing on the cake, Internal ArduinoBoy w/ standard Midi Jacks.

Hello everybody I've been following this thread for about two years, I've been inspired by some of your work here.
Today I'd like to share one of my modded DMG's.

BTW Im from Dominican Republic and I've been posting some of my GB collection on my blog, but have no recent posts for a while.
http://gameboyrd.blogspot.com/

Melbourne

^ that's a really nice clean/simple aesthetic. I like it!

Here are mine, just finished frontlighting my cgb. It didn't turn out perfectly but I only use my gameboys for lsdj/nanoloop so I only need to be able to read it, not be blown away by colour saturation big_smile

DMG on left was bought from a friend, already prosounded and backlit with custom buttons; I changed the screen protector and inverted the screen (was going to bivert it but I like it inverted. I have the hexDMG kit though so maybe someday).

CGB on right was bought on ebay, the guy who sold it to me did a great job of painting it blue from the inside, and replaced the screen protector with a glass one. I used kitsch buttons and frontlight, and did a dodgy prosound mod on it myself (hey, it works!). Might dim the frontlight a little though.

If you're only going to use it for lsdj there is no need to bi-vert. just invert the screen and then set lsdj to the inverted colour scheme, does the same thing smile

Melbourne

Yup, I started off doing that, but then when I put the cart into the cgb, it uses that horrible 'CRT' colour scheme, so I'm sticking with the default big_smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NUMBSKULL
jefftheworld wrote:

Is that one from the kick starter?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
catskull wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Is that one from the kick starter?

Nope. Kickstarter from what?