So, here's the sitch...

I purchased a usb-boy from kitsch-bent.com a little while back, and I don't want my $80 purchase to be entirely in vain. From what I understand, the device is an arduino-boy type mod that allows your Gameboy to send and read MIDI signals. So far, I've had some results in Ableton live using Master mode to record my GB audio, but I haven't been able to do so much as map the play button in Ableton to the start button on my GB. Ableton set aside, my ultimate goal is to be able to run my Gameboy through my audio interface (built into my dj controller) in Traktor pro, and map some of the settings such as tempo, volume, and filters...
Does anyone else own one of these things? Do you know which setting would be the best for use in a live mix?

Any insight I can get would be helpful since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this, Thanks!

matt's mind

have you referenced the MIDI CC information on the project's page?  (not my store site, the actual arduinoboy/teensyboy MIDI mappings is what you need).  i think with this info you could map it however you'd like within its abilities

seems like this might me the bit of info you are missing.  if not of course let us know i'm sure someone here will know if this isn't the issue

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
antron420smokeallday wrote:

So, here's the sitch...

I purchased a usb-boy from kitsch-bent.com a little while back, and I don't want my $80 purchase to be entirely in vain. From what I understand, the device is an arduino-boy type mod that allows your Gameboy to send and read MIDI signals. So far, I've had some results in Ableton live using Master mode to record my GB audio, but I haven't been able to do so much as map the play button in Ableton to the start button on my GB. Ableton set aside, my ultimate goal is to be able to run my Gameboy through my audio interface (built into my dj controller) in Traktor pro, and map some of the settings such as tempo, volume, and filters...
Does anyone else own one of these things? Do you know which setting would be the best for use in a live mix?

Any insight I can get would be helpful since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this, Thanks!

You can't directly map the start button on the Game Boy. When using the Game Boy in MIDI Slave mode you first press start and the Game Boy will then be enabled to listen for MIDI Start/Stop and tempo signals. It will then continue to listen for incoming MIDI unless you press start again.

As for controlling filters I'm unsure of what you mean as the Game Boy doesn't have any filters, unless you've added some.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about using your Game Boy in MIDI Master mode to control the filters on your Audio interface/Controller? In that case you need to make sure you've got the correct version of LSDJ, as the MIDI Out feature isn't present in all versions and you have to ensure you have the mode set to MIDIOUT. There are then use the commands X and Y to send MIDI CCs and program changes, respectively.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 3, 2015 9:36 pm)

Alabama

He is speaking about using LSDJ to control other software via LSDJ MIDI OUT. Be sure to grab the 4.7.3 version of it.

From what I have tried, LSDJ is not a good controller for Traktor. It works, yes, but it is not remotely ideal. Especially since the communication for the game boy is serial, and consequently not bi-directional. This makes things like tempo sync difficult (for now!). But with the right hardware (similar to FaMIDI works) a basic Traitor homebrew with tempo sync to the Gameboy WOULD be feasible.

I found this crib sheet on the thursday customs website
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 … bsheet.pdf

I guess the best option would be to mess around in Ableton, and save the mixing software for later. Either way, I appreciate the info...thanks a lot dudes!

Last edited by antron420smokeallday (Apr 3, 2015 9:40 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
antron420smokeallday wrote:

I found this crib sheet on the thursday customs website
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 … bsheet.pdf
From what it looks like, I can only map these commands with a midi keyboard?
(I do have one, so that's an issue)

What parameter(s) are you trying to map? Those "keyboard" commands are all just MIDI note values sent to channel 16, so they can be sent by any device that can send MIDI notes.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 3, 2015 9:41 pm)

This is actually all really good info. It looks like I need to do some more research about mapping before just diving into this.