NUMBSKULL

I'm looking at setting up a one-stop solution for all my NES/famicom gaming needs.

I'm mostly looking at an AV famicom. Will that work fine here in the US? There seems to be readily available 72 to 60 pin adapters out there, do those work well with this?

Any other tips you would have for me?

Dallas, Texas

if it's purely for gaming the RetroN 5.

If you what to make music. The original Fami or NES

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Apr 23, 2015 6:11 am)

Chicago, IL
TylerBarnes wrote:

if it's purely for gaming the RetroN 5.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about the RetroN 5...have you had a different experience?

If you are asking for the best, then super8 for sure!  I have worked with Nick and these are amazing and thoroughly researched out.
https://www.tindie.com/products/low_bud … -complete/

Michigan

Three choices that fulfill "one-stop-shop."
Emulation
Clone system
Super8

Emulation will support anything, but is emulation. Return is just a consolized emulator. Super8 is expensive, but entirely authentic and upgraded to support those import titles/hardwares.

So the real question comes down to how much do you actually want to spend.

NUMBSKULL

Thanks for all the input! The super8 would be great, but way out of my price range.

I should have clarified. I'm not really looking for a clone system.

I meant out of the 4(5?) official releases, which is the best?

The famicom looks great and cheap, but it only does rf out? Is it pretty simple to add component? Also, I'd have to get an adapter to play nes games. Seems like those are a lot easier to get ahold of than 60 to 72 pin adapters.

The front loader NES is nice, but the 72 pin can be funky and playing famicom carts isn't the easiest. Also no expansion audio out of the box.

The top loader NES looks cool, but only rf out. Again, this can be modded for component but you still have all the limitations of the front loader.

The AV famicom looks to be the best. Expansion audio, component out, everything.

The twin famicom looks okay, but expensive and overkill for me. I don't really plan on playing any FDS games.

Anything I'm missing here?

TX

iirc the FDS has its own audio channel, so if you really want everything, you might need that

but the true and correct answer is "front loader" now & forever

Taichung, Taiwan

Toploader Famicom w/ NES -> famicom converter.

A/V out goodness.

NUMBSKULL
katsumbhong wrote:

Toploader Famicom w/ NES -> famicom converter.

A/V out goodness.

That's what I think I've decided on. Seems to be the best out the box. Can you confirm what power it needs? Is it just 9v DC like the frontloader NES?

Also, what NES -> famicom converter do you use? Does it work pretty well? Any issues or anything?

Last edited by catskull (Apr 25, 2015 3:10 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

I don't own this setup, however this is the setup that numerous chip tune artists I know utilize.

+ Ease of use with the top loader design.
+ Compact in size
+ A/V out

I've seen top loader famicoms go for around $100+.

I'm sure a lot of converters will work well as the designs are simple.

NES is a mythical console.

NUMBSKULL

I should update, I ended up going with the AV famicom. I also got a cheap tomee nes -> famicom adapter, which seems to work great. I have tested it with Star Versus which uses Bastly Adams' flash cart. It does not seem to work with my Infinite NES Lives SxROM Pulsar cart unfortunately. Not sure what's going on there.