Swansea, UK

Just letting you all know about this fun little initiative I just found out about: 

Half riding the crest of Record Store Day / half an antidote to the over commercialized hype of vinyl.

http://netlabelday.blogspot.co.uk/

Netlabels! Get involved.

...and yeah if any netlabels want to release any of my music for this, just PM me!

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Nice find, cheers ! ~ x

do you know what it actually is? there is not much info on the site

Swansea, UK

Co-ordinated releases / promo to generate hype.

Like Record Store Day, only online.

cool

Milwaukee, WI
donotrunwithpixels wrote:

over commercialized hype of vinyl

Ironic coming from a chip-enthusiast.

Bristol, UK

Or it would be if chip was over commercialized...

nashville,tn

Why hate on record store day? It's for solidarity among  independent record store owners. RSD is a pretty big, fun thing at least here in nashville. Calling the vinyl resurgence over hyped is well hyperbole-I'm personally glad I can get say broadcast reissues on vinyl, though it's doubtful I'll buy a 40.00 copy of a led Zeppelin 2 reissue.

Aside from that, I think net label day is a great idea.

Bristol, UK

Absolutely, it's great for record stores but it's a shame that it means non-major labels have to wait months to get things pressed because plants have to give priority to rolling stones reissues. I know it's not a problem everywhere but it's definitely creating problems for a fair few labels. Personally I think it'd be better to have a campaign encouraging people to go to record stores more often than once a year.

Swansea, UK
Evil Scientist wrote:

Personally I think it'd be better to have a campaign encouraging people to go to record stores more often than once a year.

Oh, I don't "hate on" RSD, I have quite a few of their releases. Last year's Bonobo record gets a good outing at least once a month, and Damon Albarn's 7", Oh and the Broken Bells EP they did... Anyhow, a lot of great releases. I guess my biggest problem, apart from those mentioned by the Right Honorable Lord Thomas of Creep above, is the fetishising of the release over the music.

I think my views are most alligned to those of Peter Kirn off of CDM: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/04/l … l-digital/

nashville,tn
donotrunwithpixels wrote:
Evil Scientist wrote:

Personally I think it'd be better to have a campaign encouraging people to go to record stores more often than once a year.

Oh, I don't "hate on" RSD, I have quite a few of their releases. Last year's Bonobo record gets a good outing at least once a month, and Damon Albarn's 7", Oh and the Broken Bells EP they did... Anyhow, a lot of great releases. I guess my biggest problem, apart from those mentioned by the Right Honorable Lord Thomas of Creep above, is the fetishising of the release over the music.

I think my views are most alligned to those of Peter Kirn off of CDM: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/04/l … l-digital/

There are some valid points in that article. There is a running joke among some  friends of mine that have been long time employees at one of the record stores here about people buying up limited edition releases by a certain label in town immediately, only to flip them on eBay for ten times the price, which is b.s. I do think the author is over estimating the appeal of special edition releases for RSD.  The bargain bins get picked over way more than the crazy deluxe whatever. Also, I'm not sure I follow the logic that a big sale day discourages repeated visits. Some hard numbers might help clarify that claim.

The bottle neck thing is the biggest issue especially for small touring bands or artists. The return on vinyl is only slightly less than cassette. That means a band might have only a handful of people at a show and crummy door, but can make a decent take selling 4-5 records. The wait to press vinyl has gone from 6-8 weeks to 6-8 months here. That's a long time for an independent touring artist.

Swansea, UK

So anyway, RSD is great blah blah blah

BACK ON TOPIC, MOFOS!

Which chip netlabels will represent us?!

Santiago de Chile, Chile

I don't know which chip netlabels will represent you, but I'm waiting for that smile

Thank you very much for making this topic, DoNotRunWithPixels. I really appreciate it.

Just a couple of things for clarify some stuff:

The Netlabel Day is just like RSD, but digital, free and totally independent, so we don't have any pressures or commercial commitments of any type.

We don't hate RSD (I admire it, actually), but this celebration is more bluff and money than something really good for independent musicians and/or record labels nowadays, and that's why it's "dying" slowly. There wasn't any Record Label Day (I think...) nor Netlabel Day, so I decided to make the last one, basically because I own a netlabel and I know that environment.

Here in Chile (yep, I'm Chilean if you were wondering that) RSD is not an important celebration. In fact we only celebrate it since last year, but this year it was invisible for everyone on the Internet. If you check the Chilean fanpage on Facebook, you will see only five posts about it and that was it. But if you see the Spanish fanpage, things are completely different.

I think Netlabels are the present of the music, because they installed the music on the web as a huge catalogue of "pay what you want" or "don't pay anything and just download it", and that's the way everyone listen to and discover new music. You can support to your local record store, but you can't go to your work with a turntable, and then is when we enter to the show, which is the most of the time, finally.

Anyway, that's it. Just for clarify some things. Someone from here (I think) sent me an email, and I'm still waiting for his response. Everyone is invited, so send me an email to [email protected] if you wanna be part of this initiative.

Please keep spreading the word, and thank you very much for all your support!

Manuel Silva
Netlabel Day

Swansea, UK

Wola! Como me gusta que gente de todo el mundo organice estas cosas - ya vale de tanto angloparlante organizándolo todo.

Saludos, Manuel!

Earth
Evil Scientist wrote:

Absolutely, it's great for record stores but it's a shame that it means non-major labels have to wait months to get things pressed because plants have to give priority to rolling stones reissues. I know it's not a problem everywhere but it's definitely creating problems for a fair few labels. Personally I think it'd be better to have a campaign encouraging people to go to record stores more often than once a year.

So if there's greater demand for vinyl (created partially by RSD), can't there be more pressing plants? Isn't this a supply/demand thing, that someone can take advantage of? Presumably these people are not just buying records on Rsd, but year round. Trying to shrink the vinyl industry seems counter intuitive if you like vinyl.

I always thought the reason it was so expensive to press vinyl was because vinyl is no longer in demand yatta yatta yatta.

Edit: also I am not trying to derail things. Sorry if it seems that way, but you guys are presenting this thing as an antidote to RSD... I'm sure many people didn't know they should hate record store day. Maybe there's a mixed message here.

Last edited by breakphase (Apr 26, 2015 4:32 pm)

Swansea, UK

yes. to all those things.