Brussels, Belgium

Hello! I have a ton of gameboys DMG laying around and even 10 replacement lcd boards plus screens, and recently bought 2 RGB x3 from Kitsch Bent. As the tutorial is still not there, and I don't wanna bother Matt too much, I have a couple of questions...
- is it possible to put the LCD frame without de soldering the lcd cable from the board?
- does anyone know the rating of the LEDs that are in the backlight, so I can calculate my resistors without burning them (I didn't order the potentiometers with them, but think I'll power them in a weird way, so I need to know the exact ratings)

Thanks in DMG ('cos I'm not talking about GBA.... Yeah, it's an awful joke)

Taichung, Taiwan

Cut the lower middle section between the plastic legs of the LCD frame in order remove the frame from the front PCB. You should remove that section anyway if you are installing any backlight kit.

Brussels, Belgium

Indeed the RGB version has ribbon cable, not classic wires, so there is no need to carve into the frame...

Alabama
ThaNerd wrote:

Indeed the RGB version has ribbon cable, not classic wires, so there is no need to carve into the frame...

He is talking about the fact that the clear plactic frame CANNOT be put in place properly without a tiny piece being chopped out. I'll upload a pic of mine for reference.

EDIT: as you can see, there is a crack in the bottom of the frame, dead center. I spread these and the little screw "arms" to get around the bottom right corner of the screen and its respective ribbon cable.

Last edited by MaxDolensky (May 21, 2015 6:17 am)

Brussels, Belgium

Ok i see! Thanks... I was thinking about chopping off a portion of it, didn't think of actually "opening the square in the third dimension". I guess I'll do that.

Remains the question of the characteristics of the actual LEDs...

Just remove the whole Frame.