London, UK

I have been reading around and it looks like the ds lite has the best sound/screen, but can I sync 2 of them without arduinoboys/pc?

Is there any other GB models you'd recommend for NL 2.x in terms of sound/sync/whatevs?

Melbourne

DS Lite indeed has best screen (and probably sound too), but the port on the back is for power only, ie. you can't plug a sync cable in.

Original GBA is nice if you chuck a backlight into it but doesn't have an internal rechargeable battery (might be a preference though).

SP is good if you get the backlit version (AGS-101). That said, the audio out is through the link cable port only, unless you mod it.

Gameboy Micro is what I use, it has decent sound and a lovely bright screen (very similar to DS Lite). Might be too small for your needs though. Another possible downside is that they're probably the most expensive of the bunch to buy used, unless you get lucky. Having said that, they look super cute with their replaceable screen covers, and it's easy to get a sync cable on ebay which can be spliced with a DMG sync cable for NL1.x/LSDJ -> NL2.x sync. I'm considering getting another one!

Last edited by pselodux (May 26, 2015 11:39 am)

London, UK

I am currently using a gameboy micro, but the screen is quite small.. like, very small big_smile I wouldn't know about the sound as I couldn't try other models myself, but according to the aforementioned website, it's not great in terms of background noise. I would personally go with 2 backlit GBA, if I could afford them.. is there any other way I can sync ds lite, or is it just not possible at all?

..and also, explain the NL1.x/LSDJ -> NL2.x sync thingy please big_smile is there an adapter I can use to sync a micro and a DMG using a GBA link cable?

Melbourne

I don't think there is a way to sync using DS Lite.. unless someone wants to correct me big_smile

The background noise is there, sure, but it's not such a big deal. I get more noise from my prosounded DMG. That side is a good reference, but the best judge is your own ears, imo. I was reluctant to get a CGB after reading about it on that site, but I did anyway, and prosounded it, and it sounds great.

Regarding sync between micro and DMG, there is an official solution out there but it's pretty hard to find. I just spliced two cables (a DMG-07 and an OXY-008) based on some instructions on this forum, and it worked fine. The hardest part was actually figuring out which pins were associated with which wires on the micro link cable, since the contacts are super small. If I have time and enough interest I'll put together a definitive guide with illustrations, since I had to piece together knowledge from a few threads here.

Last edited by pselodux (May 26, 2015 12:03 pm)

ohgodno, Indiana

I use a GBA SP & to get rid of noise I hooked it up to a PISSbox,
kitsch is out of stock at the moment but should have more remotely soon!

IL, US
pselodux wrote:

SP is good if you get the backlit version (AGS-101). That said, the audio out is through the link cable port only, unless you mod it.

headphone out adapters use the power connection, not the link cable connection
all SP's are backlit, just the newer ones have a brighter setting and a normal vs the old ones with only one brightness level (which is more than adequate)

Last edited by e.s.c. (May 26, 2015 12:22 pm)

Chips & Dip :3

DS > GBM > GBA > GBASP (imo)

IL, US

and i'd rate it GBASP>GBM>DS>GBA (having owned and used all 4 with nanoloop 2.3 at one point or another)

London, UK

personal taste aside, is there any specific reason why your rates are so different?

My main concern is the option to sync with another GB running a NL 2.x cart (LSDj/NL 1.x would be a plus), good sound/screen are always welcome, whereas button layout and charger/batteries are the things I don't care about

IL, US

my rating is based entirely on sound preference. DS's are the only ones you can't sync to anything else, GBA/GBA SP are easiest to find a wide range of cables for sync use (either to other game boys or to arduinoboy/nanoloop midi usb), GB micro link cables i think may have only been made in GB micro to GB micro (at least that's all i ever saw), and anything else would require some splicing of cables.

Last edited by e.s.c. (May 26, 2015 1:48 pm)

Pittsburgh, USA
e.s.c. wrote:
pselodux wrote:

all SP's are backlit, just the newer ones have a brighter setting and a normal vs the old ones with only one brightness level (which is more than adequate)

Slight clarification: only the second gen sp's were backlit. The older ones were in fact fronlit.

As far as I'm aware, the hardware is otherwise the same.

Melbourne
e.s.c. wrote:
pselodux wrote:

oops, didn't realise they had separate power and link cables!

I don't actually have one but have done a bit of research, clearly not enough big_smile

IL, US
Saturos wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Slight clarification: only the second gen sp's were backlit. The older ones were in fact fronlit.

As far as I'm aware, the hardware is otherwise the same.

if you want to nitpick about details, sure. i just didnt want him to think there was no light for the gba sp screen

London, UK

I do own a gba sp, the 001 version unfortunately, but the light is good enough. I also own a GMB and imo it has better screen and sound, lots of noise in the gba sp. So to sum things up for future (personal) reference:

GBM: good screen, good audio, no sync options (apart for another GBM)
GBA SP: good screen, noisy audio, no headphone out (needs an adaptor)
DS Lite: Best screen and sound, no sync options whatsoever
GBA: Worst screen (unless modded), better availability, no internal battery (that's a "pro" AND a "con" really), easy to sync with whatevs

Looks like GBM it is, for me.. I'll probably get another one, the thought of investing £££ on 2 backlit GBAs is just not feasible atm neutral

Aarhus, Denmark

Before I got a DMG I used my old frontlit GBA SP for LSDj. I found it really pleasing to use, and didn't experience any trouble with noisy sound whatsoever. You can get a headphone adapter from eBay for about 2-3 euros, and the frontlit screen isn't bad at all. I don't get why people fuzz over the frontlight on the GBA SP - it illuminates the screen perfectly. smile

Last edited by zii.hrs (May 27, 2015 10:27 am)

London, UK

I think the noise becomes more evident when you crank up the volume.. another thing I wonder, should I use a PISSbox to reduce noise.. after plugging the gbasp in the pissbox, the sound becomes mono?! as in, no panning available after coming out of the pissbox?