Michigan

Yo. Don't know if someone out there has a better technique for this, but I've been working on creating a slap bass for an upcoming remix I'm working on. There were definitely some dudes that helped get me closer to my goal, such as: Hypnogram, Solarbear, Indoors, Roboctopus, and many others. You guys really know your shit!

Here's the soundcloud link to the song: I Wish ~ cover

Here are the settings for what I have so far :

This is the "normal" bass wav. This is instrument 01 and it is set to manual.

This is the "slap" wav. This is instrument 00. It is also set to manual.

This is the slap table and it is applied only to instrument 00

This is an example of the programming I used. (note: there is also a kick in there)

Let me know what you guys think about it. I personally think its getting pretty close. As Solarbear pointed out, it's crucial to understand how an instrument produces its' tonalities; that helped immensely. Slap/funk (and other bass) players tend to use a lot of ghost/dead notes, so it's important to emulate that.

s/o to my main man Stevie Wonder and his track *I Wish*

Edit #1: Hypnogram mentions that he copied the slap wav, notched a few pixels, and used F commands for a greater tonal range for the slappy.

Edit #2: changed the link to the finished song, updated with the roboctopus wav.

Last edited by infodrive (Jun 7, 2015 6:47 pm)

Michigan

btw, this is not the remix I'm doing, but I might fuck around with the sample song in the future.

Atlanta, GA

yooooo thanks for sharing man! I don't have much to contribute, but it's ok if I use this for a song?

Michigan
Ninten Kwon Do wrote:

yooooo thanks for sharing man! I don't have much to contribute, but it's ok if I use this for a song?

No worries. I know someone will chirp up eventually.

You're definitely free to use it if you'd like. Make some modifications if you're feelin' froggy!

Michigan

This is a wav that Roboctopus suggested, and I have to say that it's a fantastic addition to what I posted before. It almost sounds like a bridge pickup of an active bass. He noted that there is a tick that isn't showing because it was flashing when he screen capped.

Seattle, WA

I googled it and no one has looked at slap bass through an oscilloscope. Someone should get on that, stat.

UK

Hah, that cover is rad btw

that sounds so awesome, definitely going to test this out for my glitch hop stuff

double post :'(

Last edited by J3wel (Jun 7, 2015 9:53 am)

Michigan
Dire Hit wrote:

I googled it and no one has looked at slap bass through an oscilloscope. Someone should get on that, stat.

I tried looking at the waveform of a single slap hit with audacity, but the results were mixed. I have a feeling the wavetable would be pretty interesting if someone took look at it with a real scope.

BTW: finished the cover because I wanted to play it at a show yesterday. The Roboctopus wav was also added and should stick out pretty well.

I Wish ~ cover

Last edited by infodrive (Jun 7, 2015 3:27 pm)

Unsubscribe

Chips & Dip :3

The first wave is a spooky ghost tongue

México, DF.

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I've got a rough attempt at mixing the WAV Chann and real slap bass, just for the funz.

https://soundcloud.com/eme7h/muestra1

EDIT: Just heard the cover and I loved it!

Last edited by eme7h (Jun 13, 2015 6:51 pm)

That's so sick. I'm going to have to actually play with that when I get home.

Alabama

As someone that's got a few years of jazz bass under their belt, I'd advise you actually have a few instruments and tables with slightly different tables. Include some rad slow pitch bends and some dynamics (E00 to E03) as well as livening the arrangement up with the fills, and your track will definitely get some extra groove to it. Not to mention, arpeggiated runs would be icing on the cake. Of course, that's the way I would do it.

EDIT: This is a track I wrote with a simple Saw wave bass, but the pitch bends and other stuff lend itself well to the bass style. smile https://soundcloud.com/lockheedmartian/pon-pon-won

Last edited by MaxDolensky (Jul 14, 2015 3:31 am)

I can't stop listening to this slap bass track. MOAR NAOW