Ciudad de méxico, MX

My father once told me: "Don't make music. Be the music."

My wild guess with such giant words, is to just be happy with your own process, and develop yourself not just the music itself.

So love any sound you make (I invest a lot of time making the right sounds).

Introduce your personality (Your own tastes, even non-musical ones, your own ideas.)

An artist somehow is prism of what he senses. Good artists work a lot on their own stuff. (I mean the whole life aspects).

Don't be afraid to be you, the stylistic aspects of the music should be in a great part, yourself.

You have to persevere, since almost all of the people just can't stand the frustration of the first stages in the creative process. At first, of course you'll think that perhaps  you are unoriginal and plain. Don't hesitate. Just copy everything and make it yours.

And in the long run, you'll notice that you eventually get better if you are happy with the overall situation.

The key is to not compare yourself. Just be you and be unique.

NC in the US of America

If people can tell that a track is mine by just listening to it and recognizing familiar patterns that I typically use... then I'm doing it wrong.

Finland

I guess just do what you love rather than what you think people want to hear. I mean, that's the shortest path to mediocrity, to ride the wave, so to speak and just copy what everyone else thinks is hot right now.

But I think one could very often recognize one's own "sonic signature" or whatever.
I recognize my songs based on the sound of the instruments and the shit composition. But I pick those sounds/instruments because I like them. soooo that's not something that's going to go away as I get better at composing and writing stuff. Hence, a signature sound.

Don't really know if this is what you mean by style? But that's at least what I've noticed so far in my own work.

Do your best "you" you can. smile

Chips & Dip :3

Thank you all for the awesome advice! I'll definitely take this all into account.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:46 pm)

If you use a DAW consider creating a primary template for your next album project. When creativity strikes, you'll have your most commonly used instruments, plugins & effects all pre-loaded and ready to go. It's a good exercise in housekeeping that has the added result of creating a consistent underlying sound (which the listener may associate with your style).

You could build upon the same template throughout your music making career or start a new template for each major project.

herr_prof wrote:

I do what I want.

IMO, it's really just this!
Don't listen to anyone that tells you what you should be doing.

And also, realistically: Just because you have your own style doesn't mean it will be successful XD

vancouver, canada

also, just because you currently don't have the most original style doesn't mean you should be ashamed of your musical output.  as long you legitimately try for something new that YOU haven't done before, your music will naturally start to differentiate in a way that only you would mean for it to.

Last edited by bryface (Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm)

By not asking others how to create your OWN style

Last edited by TetrisEffect (Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am)

São Paulo, Brazil

Using the Pulselooper alias, I always pushed the music into the hardware, because I used to think that´s what chipmusic is about. That´s why I never had a "weapon of choice". I have albums made on Game Boys (DMG and advance), C64, LGPT, OPL3, etc. But recently I found that it´s more fun and free to just throw a bunch of sounds into a DAW and see what happens. That way, I can use old unfinished .mod files together with nanoloop 2 patterns, dump a patch on my casio cz keyboard and try to make sense on all of that that using a lot of Ableton Live´s time-stretching. Still haven´t released this stuff but it´s becoming by far my best work and the most pleasing to make.

barf

why do you want to develop a personalised style

Los Angeles, CA
kfaraday wrote:

To stand out amongst your peers?  To be interesting to your audience?

IL, US
Mrwimmer wrote:
kfaraday wrote:

To stand out amongst your peers?  To be interesting to your audience?

to be interesting to yourself would also be a valid reason. hey some people are happy making art that isn't anything really unique or different and i guess that's ok for them, but plenty of artists just aren't content with the results if they aren't something distinctly theirs