Chicago IL

okay, so esc just dropped one of these off for me to borrow, and ive got no idea what i'm doing with it.

what i want is just for lsdj to be a midi sync slave to ableton so i can sort of mix between ableton and lsdj.

so right now i have everything hooked up like this

Ableton -(USB)-> Axiom -(MIDI Out)-> Arduinoboy -> LSDJ in Slave mode

ive got the arduino set to the first setting which i'm pretty sure is for slave mode?

anyway, i can't get ableton to start lsdj. lil help?

Sweeeeeeden

Have you enabled it in the preferences? MIDI/Sync, right there, enable "sync on" for your controller.

Chicago IL

i'm using 3.0, i dont know how much the options have changed since then, but ive got sync -> output -> usb axiom 25

Chicago IL

sorry, what i meant to say by the first sentence was "there's no simple ON function as far as i know"

does the arduinoboys led flash in sync when ableton is playing?
check on the axiom if the usb => midi out is enabled, press advanced then midi out, a small midi port symbol shows on the display

☺☺☺

my keyrig 25 has a function of either internal or external midi, muting the midi out port altogether to use it as just a usb controller or vice versa as a midi controller. Maybe youve got a similar option somewhere aswell?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Game Boy is in Slave Mode, right?  Did you set it to "WAIT" by pressing start?

(Stupid question, I know, but I've missed even more stupid things while troubleshooting.)

Last edited by jefftheworld (May 17, 2010 8:49 pm)

Chicago IL
OlympicCarrier wrote:

check on the axiom if the usb => midi out is enabled, press advanced then midi out, a small midi port symbol shows on the display

that's what it was, i figured it out late last night and forgot to update the thread.

alright, now i can get ableton to start  lsdj, but if ableton is already playing, it seems like it ignores any kind of sync function, even if i switch to live mode. as soon as i hit start it plays, no matter what beat ableton is or isn't on.

so i guess now i need to know, is there a way to play a track synced with ableton without stopping ableton?

also seriously, thanks for everyone's help on this

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Saskrotch wrote:
OlympicCarrier wrote:

that's what it was, i figured it out late last night and forgot to update the thread.

alright, now i can get ableton to start  lsdj, but if ableton is already playing, it seems like it ignores any kind of sync function, even if i switch to live mode. as soon as i hit start it plays, no matter what beat ableton is or isn't on.

so i guess now i need to know, is there a way to play a track synced with ableton without stopping ableton?

also seriously, thanks for everyone's help on this

The way I do it is I create a blank chain in LSDJ, then when I start Ableton it starts to 'play' that blank chain, so when you later switch to a chain with actual content, it's synced.

Aside from that, I don't know a better method, but it could be that I just stopped trying after I found that work around.

Last edited by jefftheworld (May 17, 2010 9:25 pm)

Chicago IL

argh that sucks.

i do my live sets as a continuous mix, so i was hoping this would help me sync up the lsdj shit i wanted to drop into the mix. i guess it's back to mixing by ear

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Saskrotch wrote:

argh that sucks.

i do my live sets as a continuous mix, so i was hoping this would help me sync up the lsdj shit i wanted to drop into the mix. i guess it's back to mixing by ear

I suppose another workaround would be syncing your main pc (laptop?) to another.  The slave PC would connect to the game boy and would start and stop with the game boy as the main PC played through continuously.  Of course, this doesn't work well if you don't have a second laptop/netbook to spare.

Chicago IL

yeah i dont think i can do that. the keyboard has only one usb port, and i use it for beat slicing in ableton. also the keyboard is the only thing ive got that has a midi in / out. so even if i hooked the netbook up to the powerbook, i'd have no way to use the arduino. guess i wont be using this thing when nullsleep's collapsed desires tour comes to chicago. shucks!