London

Hi everyone i found these two manchester united edition gameboys. I can see one is different from the other by the decals. I originally thought the only manchester united version was the one with the black devil in the lower left corner and the extra line of text under the nintendo game boy line. The other one has only the logo in the middle. I started to see them recently appearing on ebay. Anyone knows anything about these?

Earth

http://gameboy.wikia.com/wiki/Play_it_Loud_Game_Boy

Those are all play it loud edition. The little black devil may be drawn on there?

Edit: on further investigation it seems the black devil, and Black devil-less game boys are both legit. Weird.

Last edited by breakphase (Jul 17, 2015 5:44 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've only ever seen it with the extra text and black emblem at the bottom. The other may well be fake.

London

Yeah, thats what i think too. It might be fake, because i just started to see them recently.

I am not commenting on if either is a fake or not since I have no clue, and breakphase suggests they are both the real deal.  What I find interesting about both is that the text looks so worn on both, especially under start and select, but also on the Game Boy logo, maybe on both, can't tell, but definitely on the second one.  Seems odd since the Manchester United logos and text are all intact.

I don't recall seeing this on any of mine except for one that was scraped up and missing some chunks of the plastic.  How is all of that applied (I thought it was dye subbed)?  What would cause that sort of degradation, and is it common?

Cookeville, TN

The Manchester United DMG was originally released in 1995 to celebrate the victories of the MCFC, first with a limited run of the design that included the extra text and Red Devil mascot in the bottom left corner, and then a run of DMGs with only the logo in the center once the original run had sold out. IIRC the ones with only the logo in the center are actually quite a bit more common than the ones with the extra text and Red Devil in the corner.

London

Wow. Now thats something! smile
So i might have to buy both for my collection.... Im feeling sorry for my account in advance...