Aarhus, Denmark

Yo, so today I wanted to install two RCA sockets to accompany my already working 1/8" prosound mod.

In my first attempt I accidentally grounded the right channel, so I had to re-solder the wires for both the 1/8" and RCA sockets (the right channel was also missing from the built-in 1/8" socket).
After my second attempt, I have both the prosound outputs working perfectly. The built-in headphone socket does however not work at all anymore, neither does the speaker.

So I ask, has anyone experienced this before? Do I re-solder all the points around the volume wheel again and hope for the best? Or have I messed up some other connection (since both prosound outputs still work)?

Thanks in advance!

~zii.hrs

Aarhus, Denmark

Hey again. I found my way back to trying to fix the built-in sound of my gameboy.

I'm a bit embarrassed to post this picture, but I'm hoping one of you can spot the problem (aside from the board being scorched), so this is how the solder points look around the volume pot:

My only excuse for the pain is your eyes is the quality of my soldering iron. Thought I could get by with a china thing for 5$ - boy was I wrong. Getting a new one ASAP.

Last edited by zii.hrs (Jul 18, 2015 7:37 pm)

Michigan

How is the ribbon cable (with four wires) leading to the headphone jack?

Aarhus, Denmark

As far as I can tell it looks good. Tried tugging it around the connections, it sits tight.

Edit: The headphone jack does produce audible noise.

Last edited by zii.hrs (Jul 18, 2015 11:07 pm)

this isn't super helpful, but from former electronics experience i would recommend using rosn core solder. idk if that's what your using or not or if its the iron. but it looks like there's a bunch of flux on the board that can slowly corrode the pcb. using flux on the board and then putting on solid solder will work, but its not the best from my experience. again from my best experience using some of the thin rosn core solder from radio shack has worked great for me for the past 6 years working on hobby electronics.

as for your problem it could be a bridge in the connections or the gunk around the solder points. don't know what else might be a possible culprit atm.

this isn't super helpful, but from former electronics experience i would recommend using rosn core solder. idk if that's what your using or not or if its the iron. but it looks like there's a bunch of flux on the board that can slowly corrode the pcb. using flux on the board and then putting on solid solder will work, but its not the best from my experience. again from my best experience using some of the thin rosn core solder from radio shack has worked great for me for the past 6 years working on hobby electronics.

as for your problem it could be a bridge in the connections or the gunk around the solder points. don't know what else might be a possible culprit atm.

shoot sorry for the double reply. internet lag. how can i delete the extra one? sad sorry im a little green  (newb)

Aarhus, Denmark
cheesydogg2582 wrote:

I'll try to get my hands on some new solder. smile

As for the double post, CMO still doesn't support deleting posts for some reason, but most people just edit them and write "double post" or something similar.