Keep in mind these are all remixes of real songs. None of these are created are my own songs.

Nyan Cat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUuik-egHsw

Guilty Crown - Krone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aaAlc12_kI

BTS - i Need U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8G5DdC1XnU

Well, I can say that your composition skills are accurate and good. The sounds you picked are pleasant.

However, it sounds like you are using triangle waveforms instead of square waves. Square waves would sound more like a real chiptune. The triangle waves you use are also way too high of quality, so my ears know right away that it's not authentic chip.

You could easily replace the instrument you used with a square wave generator. Or just change the osc to square in whatever VSTi you used.

It is true that the NES had a triangle wave on one channel, but it was highly distorted and had a very unique sound that is very hard to imitate. It is not the same triangle wave as on a standard synthesizer.

Again, I think you did a good job with the composition, and the tunes sound cute. But if you are wanting to get an authentic sound, I recommend one of the many wonderful trackers out there like Famitracker: http://www.famitracker.com/

Free to download and use. Plus it is set up to give you authentic NES music, and you can even convert your song to play off a Nintendo cartridge. Of course there are many other chips and sounds to imitate out there and they all sound different and unique.

I like Sega Genesis personally. I have a tracker (VGM Music Maker) where I make authentic tunes for it. Someone even played one of my songs on an actual European Sega Genesis (MegaDrive).

If you enjoy your music the way it is, that's cool too. But my initial thought is that you are wanting to make authentic sounding chiptunes. Is that your goal?

NC in the US of America

"real songs"

Sweeeeeeden

Moved to the cc subforum.

marcb0t wrote:

Well, I can say that your composition skills are accurate and good. The sounds you picked are pleasant.

However, it sounds like you are using triangle waveforms instead of square waves. Square waves would sound more like a real chiptune. The triangle waves you use are also way too high of quality, so my ears know right away that it's not authentic chip.

You could easily replace the instrument you used with a square wave generator. Or just change the osc to square in whatever VSTi you used.

It is true that the NES had a triangle wave on one channel, but it was highly distorted and had a very unique sound that is very hard to imitate. It is not the same triangle wave as on a standard synthesizer.

Again, I think you did a good job with the composition, and the tunes sound cute. But if you are wanting to get an authentic sound, I recommend one of the many wonderful trackers out there like Famitracker: http://www.famitracker.com/

Free to download and use. Plus it is set up to give you authentic NES music, and you can even convert your song to play off a Nintendo cartridge. Of course there are many other chips and sounds to imitate out there and they all sound different and unique.

I like Sega Genesis personally. I have a tracker (VGM Music Maker) where I make authentic tunes for it. Someone even played one of my songs on an actual European Sega Genesis (MegaDrive).

If you enjoy your music the way it is, that's cool too. But my initial thought is that you are wanting to make authentic sounding chiptunes. Is that your goal?

I tried using Famitracker but I didn't get it.
Some songs I like, some I don't. I'm always trying to find new tunes for the songs I make and thought I'd come here for some criticism before I ventured into a style change.

I have a thing for the triangle though.  But I wanted to make my next few songs a bit different, listen through and see what type I enjoy the more.

Thanks for the detailed and positive feedback. That someone who's been at it for way longer than myself finds some liking to my remixes is a good feel.

SketchMan3 wrote:

"real songs"

If you want me to elaborate that means songs that are distributed for commercial, media or other form of entertaining use.
Not my own.

Last edited by hireshi (Sep 14, 2015 8:37 am)

hireshi wrote:
marcb0t wrote:

Some songs I like, some I don't. I'm always trying to find new tunes for the songs I make and thought I'd come here for some criticism before I ventured into a style change.

I have a thing for the triangle though.  But I wanted to make my next few songs a bit different, listen through and see what type I enjoy the more.

Thanks for the detailed and positive feedback. That someone who's been at it for way longer than myself finds some liking to my remixes is a good feel.

SketchMan3 wrote:

"real songs"

If you want me to elaborate that means songs that are distributed for commercial, media or other form of entertaining use.
Not my own.

If you want, I'd be glad to help show you how to use Famitracker. It's real easy once you get some basics learned. I know you might be able to replicate your triangle sound with a MegaDrive or a NEC PC Engine, but not really with an NES.

marcb0t wrote:
hireshi wrote:

Not my own.

If you want, I'd be glad to help show you how to use Famitracker. It's real easy once you get some basics learned. I know you might be able to replicate your triangle sound with a MegaDrive or a NEC PC Engine, but not really with an NES.

I've sent you a PM.

https://youtu.be/fw7mE2tF9Ck