Wuppertal, Germany
atomsmasha wrote:

TI 84+ SE acquired big_smile

i assume i can transfer this software over using the USB port?

I think so.
It works on my TI-84+ via USB port! wink

Chicago

Definitely would have failed high school calculus if I had this to play with during class. Very cool!

Nomad's Land
cyberic wrote:

If I wanted to buy a TI just for houston tracker, what calculator should I buy?
Is there any other accessory needed?

Maybe you could answer in the FAQ on the website, for TI-newbies like me ;-)

Thx!

I'd recommend getting a TI-82 or 83, they're usually the cheapest and have slightly more RAM. In the end it doesn't really matter, just don't get the the 82 Parcus. That one isn't compatible. For a full list of compatible models, refer to section 1.3 of the manual.

You will also need a 2.5mm jack adapter/cable and a link cable, more info on that here.

If anyone is encountering the pesky error where TiPL cannot detect your TI-84+ via. Direct Link (mini A USB to USB), you can load up LibUSB-Win32, search for your calculator (and ensure it's turned on and plugged in), install, then load up TiPL again and you should be able to transfer Doors and HT2 without an issue. smile

Dallas, Texas

Awesome! It's finally out! You blew my mind there a bit when you showed the sweeping duty cycles! Can't wait to find time to mess with this again!

Nomad's Land

@aZu: Thanks for reporting! I'll add a note to the manual about this.

@TylerBarnes: Hehe you just wait what's in store for version 2.1 big_smile

@all: For early adopters, there's a quick HT2 contest running at https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=765 smile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Super cool!!!

Sweden

Stoked on trying this! Great demo.

perth, WA

thanks @garvalf & @tronimal smile

it'll be here any day now! i've never been this excited to get a calculator before!!!

Whateverville, California

So I've been busily working away at tracking with HT2, and I've got a sound test up. Let me know what you think. (It's all mono, due to the fact that the only 2.5 to 3.5 adapter I have is a crap one meant for a phone, haha.)

France

Amazing project !
Thanks for sharing irrlichtproject !

Just succeed to install it on a TI82 from 1993, with a generic graylink (usb/minijack) cable, transfering from Tilp2 on windows 7 (64bit).
It took me all the night to make this setup work, it was a bit tricky, so let's share what I just learn (also note it somewhere for me later).

windows 7 + TI82 + graylink setup

#1 = install driver for graylink
boot computer and do not plug your link device
If your graylink cable is PL2303TA based, you need this specific usb-serial driver (others will not work) : http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProdu … mp;pcid=41
plug your link device then check in your device Manager to see if everything is ok, set the comport on 1, 2, 3 or 4... more than 4 will not work.
unplug your link device,
reboot computer

#2 = Install TILP2
do not plug the link device
first install GTK+ 2.12.9-win32 dependencies : http://sourceforge.net/projects/gladewi … el/2.12.9/
then install TILP : http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp/win32.html (be sure to uncheck GTK+ installation box, because you allready did it)
plug the link device
open TILP, then 'control+D' and set your connexion parameters :
cable -> graylink
port -> the comport you just set in #1
calc -> your calc model (TI82)
then 'OK'

Try to send some program from your TI (in link mode), TILP should automatically ask you to save the file somewhere,
which means linking finally works smile

perth, WA
Imaginary wrote:

So I've been busily working away at tracking with HT2, and I've got a sound test up. Let me know what you think. (It's all mono, due to the fact that the only 2.5 to 3.5 adapter I have is a crap one meant for a phone, haha.)

Wow Imaginary that was tight :D

Good demonstration of the pitch slides and pwm, I'm very impressed with the sound pallete you put together! It's making me even more impatient to get mine, I can't wait to start banging it out!!

So when will kitsch start stocking backlights for these things? ;DDDD

Nomad's Land

Hell yes, Imaginary, that turned out really well!

Jankenpopp, thanks for the info, I'll add it to the manual.

I've been in touch with the maintainer of TiLP, seems some things (like BlackLink support under Windows) are indeed broken at the moment. He's aware of it, he just needs to find some free time to fix those issues.

atomsmasha, there are actually some designs for TI backlights floating around, though I'm afraid they might have some impact on the sound quality. I've seen a basic pitch mod somewhere, too. I have zero talent when it comes to hw modding though, so I'd rather leave these things for other people to figure out wink

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Oct 14, 2015 10:48 am)

Whateverville, California

So I have a few questions regarding recording/mixing with HT2, (Or just recording in general, most likely.)
First, here's my setup/audio path:
TI-82 running HT2 with each channel isolated using mute function.
(2.5mm/3.5mm adapter) 1/8 - RCA stereo jacks, line input into Behringer Xenyx 302.
Xenyx into my laptop recording with Audacity.
Export tracks as WAV and load into Acid 7 pro. (Don't laugh, it's paid for. tongue)

Enter the problem: When tracks are synchronized to begin at the same time all seems to be well for most of the song, but when the 3/4 mark (or so) is reached things begin to drift out of synch. Why? here are some theories:

CPU usage is possibly lower during certain parts of the song when channels are muted, causing the active channel to play back at faster speeds?

Something having to do with recording latency/buffering in Audacity, or perhaps exporting to WAV? (I make no claims as far as being a recording engineer. My current buffer setting is at 100 milliseconds, and my current "Latency correction" is at -130 milliseconds.)

It seems that channels that have rests (no notes sounding) seem to go out of synch more quickly than others.

The recording up on soundcloud was recorded as a single track (full channel playback) with no EQ or mastering.
The four-track recording of each isolated channel sounds incredibly crisp and dynamic in comparison, but it's syncing issue makes it nonviable in the end.

I'm hoping this is a technique problem on my end, and that isolated channel recording with HT2 is fully possible.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing let me know!

(Also, thanks for the feedback! I'll keep at it.)

Last edited by Imaginary (Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm)

Wuppertal, Germany
Imaginary wrote:

CPU usage is possibly lower during certain parts of the song when channels are muted, causing the active channel to play back at faster speeds?

I think that's the point.
Drums for example could/shoud make the whole song slower.
(It does for the most 1-bit engines that i know, not 100% sure about that on HT2, but irrlicht project could answer that, for sure!)

Imaginary wrote:

I'm hoping this is a technique problem on my end, and that isolated channel recording with HT2 is fully possible.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing let me know!

You can do the following trick, if you don't really need the stereo panning option. But you should have a cable that could do it.
It's not like 4 single channels but... maybe this helps out a little!

Pan all bass parts and drums left and all melody parts right, for example. Then give the left and the right output a single channel on your mixer.
Now you can have diffrent EQ Settings for your Bass/drums and melody! wink

Not optimal for recording if you don't have a real multi-tracker, but maybe this helps out a bit.

Edit: method produces some clicking caused by panning.
(I'm really thinking of how to get 4 seperate channels recorded in sync, as well atm.)

Last edited by Tronimal (Oct 14, 2015 7:24 pm)

Wuppertal, Germany

@ Imaginary: Wait I got it! 100% 4 seperate Channels in sync. But only without stereo panning! smile

1st: Make sure you use fresh batteries first! wink

Then: Pan all channles right except the first channel and just record the left output. Let everything else run on the right side, but don't plug in the cable for that. (So for example drums will play and slow the song down, but won't get recorded...)
After that pan all channels left except the 2nd channel and just record that.. And so on!

Got it?

If there are still any questions about that, feel free to ask! smile

[I haven't tried it yet, but this should work usually!]

Edit: method produces some clicking noise caused by panning!

Last edited by Tronimal (Oct 14, 2015 7:25 pm)