CountSymphoniC wrote:

In a strange and unpredictable twist of fate today, I've found all of the lost Prodigy Tracker source code... it was pleasing to see that everything is intact and the way it was before. This caused a complete rethink in the development strategy. I will continue to develop this tracker and make it open source, but it might stay an ASM only project. At any rate a there's some things that must change. Enharmonic spelling must be made consistent, changes to the internal tracker format must be made, routines need to be renamed for readability and better documentation + source comments must be done.

Oh, expect this tracker to branch into two separate projects at some point. Prodigy Tracker will remain as you know it, but once it's open source I intend to branch off in a new direction officially with Chaos Tracker. You'll see why soon enough wink

Whoa! Sounds intriguing. Glad to hear you found all that source code.

If you ever need a free backup storage, I have like 20 GB of storage on Dropbox you can use for no cost. Let me know if you'd like me to share you a folder.

I'm guessing you are going to dedicate one tracker for standard Genesis stuff, and the other branched one will be more geared towards Sega CD PCM and 32X PWM development. It would make sense to make a split at that point given the limited resources.

Cool stuff though... woohoo!

Chicago IL

Man I hope it stays open source, I'd love a reason to bust out my EPROM burner and set my 32X back up

YMDj/Prodigy Tracker is officially vaporware. It sure was fun while it lasted but development can no longer continue for it.

I was cleaning up the source and was reassured that approximately 90% of the program needed to be rewritten, because of so many things done wrong. It was my first time coding a music sequencer and now all the knowledge accumulated working on that can be used to create something truly amazing. So we're starting totally from scratch and in the name of doing things right this time.

Chaos Tracker has been in the works for a few weeks now and the code is much cleaner, much better commented and well structured. Chaos Tracker will have a strong code foundation with a more modular approach, so that it can be more flexible. The Sega series' version of Chaos Tracker won't be done in C though. It'll be done in a slew of different assembly languages, my other "secret" project however...

It's going to be a while before we have something useable but keep an eye on the forums. There'll be updates once in a while.

CountSymphoniC wrote:

YMDj/Prodigy Tracker is officially vaporware. It sure was fun while it lasted but development can no longer continue for it.

I was cleaning up the source and was reassured that approximately 90% of the program needed to be rewritten, because of so many things done wrong. It was my first time coding a music sequencer and now all the knowledge accumulated working on that can be used to create something truly amazing. So we're starting totally from scratch and in the name of doing things right this time.

Chaos Tracker has been in the works for a few weeks now and the code is much cleaner, much better commented and well structured. Chaos Tracker will have a strong code foundation with a more modular approach, so that it can be more flexible. The Sega series' version of Chaos Tracker won't be done in C though. It'll be done in a slew of different assembly languages, my other "secret" project however...

It's going to be a while before we have something useable but keep an eye on the forums. There'll be updates once in a while.

Alright, well as long as it runs on hardware and makes good use of that YM2612/PSG combo, then that's all I care about. Good to hear things are cleaner and more flexible. Modular is definitely a better approach from what I've heard.

I can be patient, but I am also looking forward to it! Take care man.

Man i can't wait for this I've always loved the Megadrive for its music and sound and native tracker would be schweeeet.

I havent been able to follow this project entirely.
What is the current state?
Is there a usable version of YMDJ or Prodigy Tracker or Chaos tracker?
Even a usable beta version or so?

São Paulo, Brazil
corpsicle wrote:

I havent been able to follow this project entirely.
What is the current state?
Is there a usable version of YMDJ or Prodigy Tracker or Chaos tracker?
Even a usable beta version or so?

Yeah, I lost track too.

There's a beta of Prodigy linked in the very first post.

Hastings, East Sussex, UK

My Everdrive MD v3 arrived this morning. I am stoked to try this out!

Is the project still alive?

Is there any .gen file for this tracker?  My 2 different emulators can't open .bin files....

Michigan

You mean BIN files aren't associated with your emulators? Either rename the file or drag it over your emu.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

You mean BIN files aren't associated with your emulators? Either rename the file or drag it over your emu.

Sorry. It boots fine on my N3DSXL with Retroarch Genesis Plus GX. I just have to tweak some stuff....

Wow, it would be really neat to be able to compose music on my phone or on a real Sega Nomad.

I have been playing with v. 0.23 for a couple of hours now.  I feel the potential in this. But I really dream about that the Chaos trackers sequencer will be more like Deflemask/Fasttracker II. Those trackers are What you see is what you get!  smile

I hope everything goes well!

I actually took a big break from development on this tracker. There was a bug that had me stumped for months so I just left it alone for a while. Well since the bug is fixed now, it's time to push forward.

Fair warning though, I have a full time job and a son on the way so the lightning fast progress we saw on YMDj and Prodigy won't be happening here this time around.

So far I've got the ROM initialization, the new graphics, start of a new UI design, screen compositing methods, and the barebones beginnings of the sound driver all working.
We will have access to a menubar as seen at the top of many PC apps, e.g. "File Edit View Help"

Still thinking of ways to make FM instrument patch creation more fun and user friendly. Ideas welcome!