I am using " my old boy" emulator for android.. Not using save states, been saving correctly, but i cant seem to find my .sav file anywhere on the device, its not in the folder with the rom, i have done a search, nothing! *panic*

Alive and well in fucksville

how old is your micro sd card? are the contacts dirty?

Abandoned on Fire

It should definitely be in the folder with the rom.  Are your songs still there when you go to load them in lsdj?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Assuming your songs are still there when you load them, there's just another directory somewhere that it's stashing your sav. Sometimes I've seen emulators use a hidden folder in unix-systems or a folder in your documents directory instead of putting it in the same place as the rom.

Actually... I don't yet know if my song will still load... You see, I've been working on this song for a good few days (tablet has been on constantly) so I'm terrified of closing it now. I guess i really should have tested it with a few notes first. I am a stupid cat. Suggestions?

Oh and my sd card is brand new bought last week.

Last edited by llVeXXll (Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just realized you said this was on android. It'll be in some sort of directory like:

sdcard/Android/data/com.WhateverMyOldBoysPackageNameIs/saves

Last edited by jefftheworld (Nov 14, 2015 8:49 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
jefftheworld wrote:

I just realized you said this was on android. It'll be in some sort of directory like:

My OldBoy creates a sav file for whatever rom you load in the same directory as the rom.  I'm thinking that since the op says they haven't closed the emu since starting the track (and it sounds like they haven't used it to make any other tracks) then the sav hasn't actually been created yet.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
egr wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

My OldBoy creates a sav file for whatever rom you load in the same directory as the rom.  I'm thinking that since the op says they haven't closed the emu since starting the track (and it sounds like they haven't used it to make any other tracks) then the sav hasn't actually been created yet.

If it's on Android 5.0 or higher it might not be able to do that, unless you're running a custom Android rom that allows it, apps are no longer permitted to write outside their own directories unless they have SD permission.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Nov 14, 2015 9:46 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
jefftheworld wrote:
egr wrote:

If it's on Android 5.0 or higher it might not be able to do that, unless you're running a custom Android rom that allows it, apps are no longer permitted to write outside their own directories unless they have SD permission.

I haven't experienced that (yet) on my 5.0 devices (Note 3 and Nextbook Ares 11).  Savs appear in my Downloads folder or wherever the rom happens to be.  That'll suck when I can't keep roms and savs together automatically.  sad

Last edited by egr (Nov 14, 2015 9:50 pm)

Okay update, i took the plunge after having screenshotted every damn phrase and closed the app, i made sure i un checked the option to load save states automatically. Loaded the app back up and the rom, my song is still there.. Its not a save state, So there MUST be a .sav somewhere, i just still cant find it. Im running kitkat 4.4.2

Last edited by llVeXXll (Nov 15, 2015 2:00 am)

Medina, Ohio

If you could plug the SD card into your computer, you could use something like this to locate the file:

Search Everything:
http://www.voidtools.com/

Unfortunately I am in hospital for a while and dont have access to my pc. I guess the question is, is it safe/ worth carrying on with the song on my android device? Where are the save states stored? I could move them and run the emulator just to make sure what im seeing is a .sav being loaded and nothing else, at least then i know it can be sorted/ transferred at a later date.

GUYS IVE FOUND IT! Thank you for helping! Jefftheworld, your reply made me go through every single folder on my device. it was hidden in an obscure place. I had previously only looked in most folders and used the search function which returned nothing.

Wtf is the point in having a search function that doesnt work? I have literally typed in the name of the file and it doesnt come up with it even though i know its there now... I never thought id say this but im missing windows.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
llVeXXll wrote:

GUYS IVE FOUND IT! Thank you for helping! Jefftheworld, your reply made me go through every single folder on my device. it was hidden in an obscure place. I had previously only looked in most folders and used the search function which returned nothing.

Wtf is the point in having a search function that doesnt work? I have literally typed in the name of the file and it doesnt come up with it even though i know its there now... I never thought id say this but im missing windows.

Where was it in the end?