Chicago

After making a bunch of cover songs, I decided to start working on some originals. Here's the LSDJ track to the first tune I've finished writing:

Love in the Singularity

I'm pretty happy with it, but thought I'd share here to see if anyone has suggestions before I add guitar and vocals.

Thanks!

My suggestion is that you post it again asap when you've done the overdubs because I'm super excited to hear it!

NC in the US of America

This is sweet! Can't wait to hear the full version. I just want to suggest mixing your guitar so it's nice and clear and doesn't get lost in the mix. A lot of chip + guitar stuff I've heard tends to have the guitar just sounding like some sort of background noise that distracts from the chiptune elements without being audibly present enough to justify being included in the track. At least in my opinion. Beware of that.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 16, 2015 3:15 am)

Chicago

Glad you guys like! Might be a while before I have time to do a recording session for the guitar/vocals, but I'll definitely share when I do.

SketchMan3 wrote:

A lot of chip + guitar stuff I've heard tends to have the guitar just sounding like some sort of background noise that distracts from the chiptune elements without being audibly present enough to justify being included in the track. At least in my opinion. Beware of that.

Good suggestion! I try to keep the chiptune stuff out of the range of the guitar (mostly higher pulse channels and lower WAV channel), but it's hard to hear before putting it all together.

NC in the US of America
QuietMind wrote:

Glad you guys like! Might be a while before I have time to do a recording session for the guitar/vocals, but I'll definitely share when I do.

SketchMan3 wrote:

A lot of chip + guitar stuff I've heard tends to have the guitar just sounding like some sort of background noise that distracts from the chiptune elements without being audibly present enough to justify being included in the track. At least in my opinion. Beware of that.

Good suggestion! I try to keep the chiptune stuff out of the range of the guitar (mostly higher pulse channels and lower WAV channel), but it's hard to hear before putting it all together.

Yes, yes, very good. Another thing to consider, which is possibly even more important, is the tone and EQ of the guitar. Using a live band as an analogy; the bassist holds down the low frequencies so the guitarist generally should not have his bass knob turned up too high, as that will get in the way of the bass and kick drum.

Guitar distortion clips the guitar signal, causing it to "square off", which means it's important to manage your guitar's tone so that it doesn't get swallowed up in the rectangular pulse waves of your gameboy.