Norway

November 5th a new version of LSDJ was released. The big news here (compared to the November 2nd release mentioned earlier in the forum) is the addition of analogue sync. Getting it to work is as easy as modifying a link cable. Stoked!

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest … _4_8_0.pdf

Last edited by PES (Nov 12, 2015 2:44 pm)

NC in the US of America

Sounds awesome. What's the diff between analog sync and the other kind of sync?

Michigan
SketchMan3 wrote:

The difference is between digital and analog. tongue
But really it's just another way to connectthe gameboy to more hardware. I this case we've gone back to an older method of sync. So it will be useful ii f you have older gear.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SketchMan3 wrote:

It requires no special hardware like an arduinoboy, a simple cable wired correctly is all you need to get this to work.

Norway
Jazzmarazz wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

The difference is between digital and analog. tongue
But really it's just another way to connectthe gameboy to more hardware. I this case we've gone back to an older method of sync. So it will be useful ii f you have older gear.

It should be said that while it is indeed the old method of sync, it is also part of a current trend with new gear supporting it being released.

Last edited by PES (Nov 14, 2015 6:42 am)

san diego

this is awesome! now i can sync it to my roland tr-626 and Alesis Hr-16 through the tape sync!

Sydney, Australia

Hey Pes, do you have a video of this working?

Norway
Strages wrote:

Hey Pes, do you have a video of this working?

Got nothing to show I'm afraid.

Finland

Yes. I am very intrigued by this. This is my excited typing.

Seriously tho I'm so hype for this. As an increasing sweet-tooth has been growing in me for analog gear. smile

france

I have not try to do it with LSDJ.
But with nanoloop to be able to sync slave nanoloop to a volca is really a great bonus.
Arduino is great, but what I like with the analogue sync is there is only tempo and no start/stop.
It seem to be not that great at the first look, but really it's way better.

Norway

Since this was the first time playing the DMG with other instruments, I hadn't noticed how low the ouput was before (or at least it wasn't relevant). Compared to the A4, it was very, very low. So I just did the line output mod (which was as simple as mounting the sync jack): huge improvement. Very strong output signal now.

Michigan

The internal clipping diodes are only present for worst case scenarios and some vintage synths with a sync output may run on bipolar voltages up to +/- 15v! Anyone using this method of sync should research their hardware before doing so I think.

Germany

Hi, get this nice stuff:

https://evadeanddualitymicro.bandcamp.com/merch

Regards fReD
www.evadum.de

Czech Republic

Ok
so to be clear about clock (as i get it):

LSDJ used analog clock OUT
it's Nanoloop sync
12 ppqn (pulses per quarter note)

you can use it with other gear, but you have to build clock divired to slow clock down
Korg Monotribe, Korg Polysix, Roland SH101, Korg MS series, Boss DR220 uses 1 pulse per step (1 pulse per sixteenth note)
so, 4ppqn

Korg Volca uses 1 pulse per 2 steps, so 2ppqn

LSDJ didn't have Analog clock In yet
Now, you can use LSDJ as a slave to other gear

as mentioned in LSDJ manual, The TICKS/STEP setting controls how many LSDj ticks should be generated for each incoming sync signal.

LSDJ is based on 6 ticks/step
So, if you are triggering from Monotribe, Monotribe sends 1 pulse per step, you have to set LSDJ to 6 ticks/step

If you are triggering LSDJ from Volca, you have to set LSDJ to 12 ticks/step.

If you'd like to trigger LSDJ with Dinsync (Sync 24, Roland standard, TR707, TR606, Prophet64 etc.), it sends 24ppqn
( 24ppqn = 6 pulses per sixteenth note = 6 pulses per step)
so, you have to set LSDJ to 1 tick/step

I don't know, how tape sync of my TR707 works (what clock does it send), I didn't used it
But it should be 24ppqn
I didn't find it in TR707 operation manual

If you'd like to trigger LSDJ with Dinsync (Sync 48, Korg standard, KPR-77), it sends 48ppqn
( 48ppqn = 12 pulses per sixteenth note = 12 pulses per step)
so, you have to use clock divider to slow this clock, because you can't set LSDJ to less, then 1 ticks/step

Am I right?

Norway

@ryba: Very good explanation, it sounds right to me.