Joliette, QC, Canada
Anonymouse wrote:

Renoise is my favourite sequencer. Is there anything similar to this that is good. Sorry, my internet is very limited at sea so it is difficult for me to research without asking. Is notator a tracker?

Nope another MIDI DAW sequencer, like I said the only tracker that can do MIDI is Digital Home Studio on Falcon030 ! But Falcons are really rare and expensive !

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
garvalf wrote:

>> maxYMiser is not a midi sequencer but a sound tracker. You can enter notes with it, but I don't think you'll be able to play them back on your keyboard / synth. /.../

> MaxYMiser does have MIDI support

sorry, it wasn't clear. I meant:  You can enter notes into MaxYMiser by using a MIDI keyboard, but you won't be able to play back midi sequence from maxymiser to the midi keyboard.

No, trust me, it does have MIDI OUT support so you can sequence external equipment.

I think the best plan for me is to get an emulator when im next at land then try out some of the music packages.

Can anyone recommend a good emulator and music programs that I would be interested in.

My list to try is currently:

Cubase
Notator
Maxymiset

Anymore suggestions?

What type of audio interface do you have?  A really good audio/midi interface will reduce latency a ton. 

I've used some of those programs.  The timing is rock solid as described, but the user experience is nowhere near as smooth as something like ableton live or renoise.  I recommend trying them out on an emulator if you can figure out how to get past the dongles. 

If you are just syncing clocks then something like this is a better buy for you

http://innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS% … 20Pro.html

There are other options like this out there as well, the basic idea is to use audio speeds for your midi.  Do you need just clock or are you sequencing synths?  If you are sequencing notes on renoise and sending them out to multiple synths you should be able to achieve acceptable latency without any extra hardware.

Going from a modern DAW to an atari midi sequencer = bad idea IMHO.  Something like maxymiser is for making chiptunes with the internal soundchip.  Those other programs just do midi, so bye bye audio and midi on 1 machine (I'm sure you use audio for at least drums, right?)  The ones that can do audio have archaic feature sets.  Never mind no more vst's.  If you want to use renoise and the ST at the same times that would be a workflow nightmare.  Thats just my 2 cents.  Leave the ST for the chiptunes, unless your Fatboy Slim and started out on an ST.

The Rubber Man

Ah, another thing, dunno if it's useful - there's a guy using 2 ATARIs STE (and synthesizers).
He uses one Atari as a sequencer and the second Atari STE (and synths) as instruments. I gather he uses MIDI to utilize all the hardware.
https://legsakimborecords.bandcamp.com/ … gum-tunnel

He writes:
"One Atari acts as a sound module utilizing the YM Chip, (through Musicmon) whilst the other acts as the brain (linked via midi using Notator) sequencing Akai samplers and Sound modules".

Sounds like an idea, and I even didn't know that MusicMon has actually MIDI implementation too. Hm. Interesting.

jefftheworld wrote:

No, trust me, it does have MIDI OUT support so you can sequence external equipment.

Really?
How do you do this?
I can setup the channel on each instrument, but I thought it was only for the MIDI IN ?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cyberic wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Really?
How do you do this?
I can setup the channel on each instrument, but I thought it was only for the MIDI IN ?

Make sure you're on the latest version, older versions didn't have midi out.

jefftheworld wrote:

Is this what you call MIDI OUT:
"maxYMiser  constantly  outputs MIDI clock pulses, and Sync24 clock pulses during
playback" ?

Lichtenstein

Mega STE4 with 80 MB HDD would be my choice, if you could find one.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cyberic wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Is this what you call MIDI OUT:
"maxYMiser  constantly  outputs MIDI clock pulses, and Sync24 clock pulses during
playback" ?

No, that's _not_ what I mean. Seriously, download the latest version:

v1.33a     312Kb     International Workers Day special edition - MIDI note output, improved disk error handling, usability improvements

jefftheworld wrote:

v1.33a     312Kb     International Workers Day special edition - MIDI note output, improved disk error handling, usability improvements

Alriiiight sorry I had missed that part. Thanks.

Solar System

Buy:
Atari 520STE / 1040STE
Atari MEGA STE\
They have normal SIMM slots, 4096 colors video and PCM for samples...

Last edited by Matej (Nov 21, 2015 8:21 am)

Thank you everyone for your reply. In response to 'kid versus chemical' - I dont actually use any software for sounds. Only sequencing. Ive had a variety of synths, drum machines & samplers over the years. But currently my setup is: Roland TR8, TB3, Korg EMX, Boss SP303, Korg Volca sample, Yamaha RM1x & RS7000. Im planning on selling the RM1x, RS7000 & EMX though. Im pretty hot on LSDJ so I dont think a MIDI sequencer on the ST should be too hard. My MIDI interfaces are Midisport 2x2, Roland UM ONE. Both give pretty shit results. 1ms jitter sounds very appealing to me.

The Rubber Man

Then Atari STE 4Mb with Cubase will be OK.
I use 4Mb ST but my drummer Pinokio noticed last times that the Cubase works faster on STE (something related with graphic, so probably with blitter? Whatever).

PS: Instead of HDD You can get ultrasatan.
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=94

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am)

London

maxYMiser does allow you to sequence some MIDI on the STe channels. However, it couldn't by any means be called anything like a fully featured MIDI sequencer. It is nice though, if you want to throw in a few simple melodies and effects on top of your chiptune

Its best if your STe will have TV RF output. Only STs with TV output have composite video output. STe is definitely the way to go unless someone is giving you something for free, in which case anything is good smile

Solar System

1040 STE
or
Mega STE
and some 4x 1MB SIMM