Madison, WI

Oh yeah, I noticed the key repeat is waaaaaay faster on a ti-82 than a ti-83+.  I'm finding it quite easy to accidentally drop multiple notes when I mean to just enter one. Why is this?

Dallas, Texas
nonfinite wrote:

I purchased a few TI-82s and would like to get HT2 on them. I attempted to get TiLP installed on my Mac (El Capitan) and had a hell of a time.  Installing packages so I can install packages so I can install other packages. Threw in the towel tonight after about an hour of installing packages in terminal. Is there a more straightforward way to do this?

Libticables2 wants glib, glib wants libffi. This is where I surrendered.

I tried that song and dance on my mac as well with installing a bunch of packages just to find three more that are dependent. It was frustrating indeed.

I ended up just running Parallels software and running a copy of windows. I need windows for other things too, so it's not like I'm running Parallels JUST for TiLP.

Nomad's Land

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply!

@TylerBarnes: Regarding backlighting and power consumption, I'm afraid drawing as little as 15-20 mA might already be too much on newer models. When in playback mode, HT2 itself is running near the sustainable maximum already. To run stable without occasional RAM clears, it even needs to go the extra mile and turn of USB and timer crystals to reduce power usage by a mere ~7.2 mA.

@nonfinite: What a nightmare! Glad you got it working, unfortunately I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Mac mattes. Do you think your friendly dev contact would be willing to provide such a brew keg thingy? I'd be more than willing to include that in the HT2 package.
The only other option would be to create a .82b backup file with the shell and HT2 already installed. However, I don't have the rights to distribute CrASH so even though probably nobody would complain, it's not really an option for me.

Regarding accidental keypresses, that seems like a bug to me. The keyhandler itself is a bit more responsive on 82 because the hardware allows it (better keypad debounce than later models), but it should never key-repeat in any case. Ok, let's get to the bottom of this. Could you let me know:

- the OS version ([MODE] [ALPHA] [S] to check)
- the HW revision (on the back of the unit, below the patent information, there is a 7-digit code starting with a letter followed by a slash)
- does it happen always, or only when RowPlay mode is enabled?
- HT2 stable, I guess?

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm)

Madison, WI

OS Version - [Mode] [Alpha] [S] enters a self test that starts counting up from 0 when I push [ENTER]. Seems to increment at about 1 a second. Interrupting the process cleared my memory. There are a lot of ways to accidentally wipe these. =/ Anyways, I'm guessing I didn't do what you wanted me to do.

HW Version - 77211591 i-0399u

I'll have to reinstall crash and ht2 to see if i can recreate the issue.

Nomad's Land

Ah, no, don't press [ENTER] on the self-test screen, just look at the number below the "Enter Self-Test" message. Not necessary anymore though, with this date code the OS version can only be 19.0.

You've got yourself a batch of some of the last regular 82s ever made wink Is it still the regular brick-shape, or is it the rather rare version with the rounded edges (http://datamath.org/Graphing/TI-82_2.htm)? In any case there's a chance these already have the newer (crappier) 83 style keypad controller built in. If that's the case I'd need to compile a special "82 with slow keyhandling" version.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Got myself a dirt cheap TI-83+ and I must say I'm really quite enjoying this.

EDIT: Holy shit!

I just realized there is a user defined sample playback that uses 1-bit PWM! That's a super rad addition, what a great way of adding custom samples! Everyone, grab the latest version of [pcm2pwm] and you can easily convert samples to the exact format that HT2 uses.

I'll make a promise here, if irrlicht ever adds the capability to import pwm sample data into HT2, I'll add a matching binary output feature to pcm2pwm so that you can easy create files to send to HT2.

EDIT 2: Actually, HT2 uses an inversion of pcm2pwm, so I'll be adding a feature this weekend for outputting the inverted format it uses. Is the minimum period 0x80?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Dec 9, 2015 3:32 am)

The PCB:s for the headphone amp have landed!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmyfvq8lu9kkj … b.jpg?dl=0

Now I´ll have to build one. I hope it works! smile

NC in the US of America

Can't wait to hear the music y'all create with this

sweden
snorkelitzor wrote:

The PCB:s for the headphone amp have landed!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmyfvq8lu9kkj … b.jpg?dl=0

Now I´ll have to build one. I hope it works! smile

HYPE!

The amp works great!
Somehow this version has more power than the breadboarded version even though I am using the same battery.
At highest volume it´s really way to loud and turns your headphones in to speakers. smile
Should maybe tweak the max volume. Or is it a good thing to maybe be able to drive a pair of small speakers?

Hera are some pix and a song!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv6mgf4ok33v1 … 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq5044vu6icis … 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45h0g605z5ztz … 3.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czszgmsnugdbd … b.mp3?dl=0

I have been running it for a few hours and the TI83+ seems to be fine.
Tried adding diodes on the input but it didnt work at all. It just went silent.
Thinking about binding it to ground instead and have the output be high when its supposed to be silent.
its better than a hot input.

Next step: Finding a box and deciding what kinda input jack to use!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A friend needed help with the hexadecimal required for panning, so I made this image to quickly explain how it works and to use as a reference:

Nomad's Land

Big thumbs up y'all smile

@jefftheworld: Yeah, I might be able to figure out some crude sample import, though it'll probably not happen in the next release yet. Also thanks for the chart... yeah I know the whole panning stuff is a bit confusing, I regularly have to look it up in the manual myself. Unfortunately I still haven't come up with a more intuitive method that doesn't mean a result in a load of additional computation time.

@snorkelitzor: Awesome, looking and sounding good!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
irrlichtproject wrote:

@jefftheworld: Yeah, I might be able to figure out some crude sample import, though it'll probably not happen in the next release yet. Also thanks for the chart... yeah I know the whole panning stuff is a bit confusing, I regularly have to look it up in the manual myself. Unfortunately I still haven't come up with a more intuitive method that doesn't mean a result in a load of additional computation time.

I think it makes sense, I don't think it needs to change. Some people just have little/no experience with binary to hexadecimal, so I thought I'd make something to show how easy it actually is.

As for your sample playback, any value from 0x01 to 0xFF is valid? With 0x00 terminating?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Dec 11, 2015 11:25 am)

France

for calculating the paning, you can also use this online tool (made in javascript):

http://garvalf.online.fr/ht2_panning.php

It might also be possible to include the code into the ht2 manual, it's quite small... if you wish Utz, I can make a pull request or if you prefer you can link to an external website...

This is insane!

A tracker in a pocket calculator!! smile

Nomad's Land

@jefftheworld: Yes, correct. Also, ideally samples should have an even number of bytes including the terminating 0-byte, though that's not strictly required.

@garvalf: Thought I had added the link already, but yeah... might as well include the script directly. I'll just grab it from your site smile