Michigan

I'm thinking about creating a youtube channel for my music, but I want to make it more interesting to watch than just a static image of album art. (Even if most people will just have it playing in the background) I was thinking I could record an oscilloscope playing each channel of my music separately and put the waveforms next to each other in a video. Basically this with my own music.

I've been looking around for some software, but everything I've been finding is super old, and only updates at around 10fps. Ideally I would like 60. Anyone know of such a program?

Last edited by powersupply (Dec 7, 2015 4:59 pm)

settle

It might depend on what chip you're using (NES vs. Atari, etc.), what the software can extract... I don't know of any oscilloscopes, but I have seen NSFplug used as a background for Youtube videos (for NES chiptunes, of course). No waveforms, but it shows note values, velocities, a piano roll, and stuff like that.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKhgzXYj7Y

Michigan
djhaka wrote:

It might depend on what chip you're using (NES vs. Atari, etc.), what the software can extract... I don't know of any oscilloscopes, but I have seen NSFplug used as a background for Youtube videos (for NES chiptunes, of course). No waveforms, but it shows note values, velocities, a piano roll, and stuff like that.

That's a neat program, but not quite what I'm looking for. Although maybe having a piano roll would work. I'm just looking for something interesting to put on screen.
I'm using a game boy. I was just planning on playing each track separately and feeding each into a program, recording it, then putting it all together.

Last edited by powersupply (Dec 7, 2015 5:15 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
powersupply wrote:
djhaka wrote:

That's a neat program, but not quite what I'm looking for.
I'm using a game boy. I was just planning on playing each track separately and feeding each into a program, recording it, then putting it all together.

In that case, any oscilloscope software (or hardware) will fit the bill. Just record a video of each channel of audio being played through the scope and throw them together in your video editing software.

Michigan
jefftheworld wrote:

In that case, any oscilloscope software (or hardware) will fit the bill. Just record a video of each channel of audio being played through the scope and throw them together in your video editing software.

That's my plan. My only problem is that all the programs I find are either ugly or only update at 5fps.

Michigan

Turns out that after effects does a pretty good job. Probably will just use that.

Michigan

Have you asked the authors of those videos what they use?

Michigan
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Have you asked the authors of those videos what they use?

According to that video's description, he wrote the software/script himself. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask though.