Los Angeles

Another way to do the link cable, is to attempt what I did with using the PCB as a link port. (Idea from Oliver & Nanoloop link) I have designed a shield but have not tested it yet. The PCB from Fritzing is just big enough. Maybe.

I added holes so that one could use some zipties to secure the gb link cable to the PCB.

NUMBSKULL

Woah, nice work! I had the same idea but abandoned it because I have no idea how to make a cart edge connector in eagle. Is the one there a DMG port or GBC port? What's durability like, does the port seem like it might break off?

My only big hesitation is doing a DMG style connector provides no way to power the aboy without modifying a cable. The dual ended cables I have have th 5v line working but only on the GBC side.

Also I notice your open hardware logo. I just wanted to throw out that all the stuff I'm doing in relation to this is also open and available on github in my fork of your repo. Check it out here: https://github.com/catskull/Arduinoboy

EDIT: What does fritzing charge for a shield? Is it really 29 euro?

Last edited by catskull (Oct 27, 2015 10:49 pm)

France

Just received mine from you Catskull. Fully functionnal and well built. Simple but efficient. Thank you again ;-)

Been meaning to put up some comments about my experience with Catskull's kit. It came in pretty quick and the build was about as solid as you would expect from looking at it. For me, I am so excited just to have a functioning arduinoboy that I have really been treating it with kid gloves and would like to house it in a more robust build. I know a lot of members here have made a lot of arduinoboys over the years and can't understand how anyone can have trouble making one work, but something about it just stumped me. I am so glad to have this relatively affordable setup available.

Functionally it works great and catskull was super helpful with all of my questions in setting it up and testing it out in myriad configurations. Midi in worked great with mGB on an ems usb cart. I used a gameboy advance so as to have the gameboy power the arduino, since the dmg cable provided doesn't send power. I was using a novation mininova as the midi controller, as well as running it as a parallel oscillator through a minibrute and a microbrute.

Next up I attempted a bit of fun experimenting with midi-out, attempting to re-voice some lsdj tracks. Well, it wasn't too much fun. The Aboy definitely sent the data, but I found the midi out implementation in lsdj to be a bit cumbersome. The data was successfully transmitted via a midi to usb cable, through an apple lightning camera conection kit and into an iPad air, where the channels were sent up in multiple synth apps. While I wasn't real happy with the sonic results of the setup, I can vouch that the Aboy held up its end of the bargain.

The last test worth noting, if anyone finds any of this worth noting in the first place, was to sequence in iPad apps such as Genome, sending data on the four channels out through the cck and usb to midi cable in order to drive mGB.

I know a lot of this is general Arduinoboy stuff that's not necessarily specific to catskull's sheild, but I've already written it, so why not? In the end it's an enticing little option, especially if you are just snagging the board- sooo affordable, and it works great.

NUMBSKULL

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! The beta testers have had no issues that I'm aware of.

Here's an update on the project for those interested.

The PCB is essentially completely redesigned. I improved it by adding screw terminals for both the link cable connector as well as the midi jacks. That's designed for people that don't want to keep their kits on the bare PCB and house it in some sort of case. I personally wouldn't do that, but there was plenty of room so why not? I added resistor values straight on the board for easier assembly. I added the 4.7k resistor from pin 7 of the 6n138 to ground that nitro2k01 suggests will improve performance when powering it with a gameboy. Speaking of that, I added the footprint for a GBA/GBC link port connector, so you can use a stock link cable without cutting it in half.  And for fun, I changed the silkscreen color to blue to better match the arduino.

Now for the bugs. The only one I've found so far is that the serial in and serial out of the link port is swapped. A PCB modification is actually quite easy as the traces are clear and isolated, and thanks to the screw terminal holes you have an easy place to solder them to. Two small jumper wires are needed. Also, along with the link port it seems like the dual DMG/GBC link cable I have does have a wire going into the GBC side 5v line, but the 5v lines are not connected through the cable. I guess that actually makes sense. What this means is that you can't power the arduinoboy with a stock cable. Using the screw terminals still works, and modifying a cable might also be possible.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here you go:

I received one of "beta" devices too. Like error stated, build quality is good. Like what you see in pictures. Been using it with good old G4 powermac and Renoise combination, coupled with Tascam fireone audiointerface.

Had no issues with different sync options so far, mostly been using LSDj in slave mode. Also tried using LSDj as Master and it worked surprisingly good too. Did small tests with mGB and no bad words from that either. Overall truly recommended piece of gear, it's cheap and adds lot to your setup for the money. Good stuff!

NUMBSKULL
rebb wrote:

I received one of "beta" devices too. Like error stated, build quality is good. Like what you see in pictures. Been using it with good old G4 powermac and Renoise combination, coupled with Tascam fireone audiointerface.

Had no issues with different sync options so far, mostly been using LSDj in slave mode. Also tried using LSDj as Master and it worked surprisingly good too. Did small tests with mGB and no bad words from that either. Overall truly recommended piece of gear, it's cheap and adds lot to your setup for the money. Good stuff!

Thanks rebb!

For everyone else these are now officially out of beta testing and available for purchase. See the original post for more details or go to catskullelectronics.com

Last edited by catskull (Mar 11, 2017 5:58 am)

NUMBSKULL

I made a few assembly notes for those wanting to go that route. Download the pdf here: http://catskullelectronics.com/public/a … sembly.pdf

Last edited by catskull (Mar 11, 2017 5:58 am)

Michigan

You should change the title to: "FS: arduinoboy kits from $16"
It looks like they are $1 on mobile

Madriz, Supain

is someone making dmg cables for this? i lack one

NUMBSKULL
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

is someone making dmg cables for this? i lack one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400690419424

Madriz, Supain

No no, i mean, one with its side peeled and labeled so i can plug it into an arduino.

Does your kit need to break a cable for them? because if not, i might be upgrading mine!

NUMBSKULL

No no, i mean, one with its side peeled and labeled so i can plug it into an arduino.

Does your kit need to break a cable for them? because if not, i might be upgrading mine!

My kit has a GBC link cable right on it. If you use one of those dual ended cables I posted then you can easily use it with a DMG or a GBC/GBA.

Madriz, Supain
catskull wrote:

My kit has a GBC link cable right on it. If you use one of those dual ended cables I posted then you can easily use it with a DMG or a GBC/GBA.

Sorry i needed that noob friendly explanation. Ima PM you with what I have to see what i can buy from you

NUMBSKULL
Jazzmarazz wrote:

You should change the title to: "FS: arduinoboy kits from $16"
It looks like they are $1 on mobile

Send me a min64 and I'll sell you one for a dollar!

NUMBSKULL

Just want to let anyone who wants one for Christmas: order by this Saturday (Dec. 19). Any orders placed after that won't ship until the New Year. Thanks!