Hey guys, I'm working on backlighting my DMG with the RGBx3 backlight mod. After going through the steps (removing the tinfoil on the inside of the screen etc etc), I soldered the backlight mod in with A to the ground and B (For blue, I assume) to the positive right above the capacitor according to some youtubes guides I was looking at. I know this is really vague, sorry! I can post pictures tomorrow, I know it's frustrating to try to troubleshoot something when it's not described very well.

Anyway, I soldered everything in and turned on the DMG, and it's exactly the same as if it didn't have a backlight. So I thought maybe I connected it wrong, I double checked everything and it /should/ be good, but I'm new at this, so it's entirely possible I goofed. My issue is that I can't find any documentation online (even through youtube, which I thought had everything!)

I'll post pictures to give a better idea of what my set up looks like ASAP, but is there some obvious glaring error that I've done wrong, like something I specifically need to do with the RGBx3? Thank you so much!

Hey, I haven't used this backlight but looking at the photo on the kitsch-bent store the terminals are marked B, R, G and A. I assume A stands for anode, i.e. this is backlight uses common-anode LEDs.

So A should be connected to +V, then whichever of the RGB colours you want lit connected to ground.

Knife Crimes wrote:

Hey, I haven't used this backlight but looking at the photo on the kitsch-bent store the terminals are marked B, R, G and A. I assume A stands for anode, i.e. this is backlight uses common-anode LEDs.

So A should be connected to +V, then whichever of the RGB colours you want lit connected to ground.

http://imgur.com/EmgvMSU

http://imgur.com/ZQFaYa4

Okay, so these pictures aren't super great but as you can see the black wire is connected from B (for blue) to the positive (on the left), and the red wire from A To the ground on the right. Is that correct? I then connected the ribbon cable again and turned on the gameboy, and it still doesn't light up.

Last edited by darthnumbers (Jan 29, 2016 3:02 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Switch the red and black wires and see what happens

catskull wrote:

Switch the red and black wires and see what happens

I can't believe I didn't consider this, I'll do that as soon as I get out of work. Is that likely to be the issue?

It worked, thank you so much! I'm stupid lmao

Michigan
darthnumbers wrote:

It worked, thank you so much! I'm stupid lmao

Where are you gonna tuck the wires? Those are hella long.

NUMBSKULL

Glad that worked. Did you realize that there are three colors of LED's on that panel, so you could hook one or all of them up to create different colors?

Ardèche, France
catskull wrote:

Glad that worked. Did you realize that there are three colors of LED's on that panel, so you could hook one or all of them up to create different colors?

You can even add switches, to change colors as you wish!

I accidentally broke the blue LED post so I ended up using Green, whoops XD I had no idea you could mix them though, or add switches, that's amazing! As for the wire, I ended up taping it down and it's not so much of an issue. All told between troubleshooting pro sound and backlight this took me like 9 hours, and I work IT so I'm definitely embarrassed. Thanks so much for the help!