France

the ym to sid sounds really cool. Is the converter freely available? Is it easy to use?

garvalf wrote:

the ym to sid sounds really cool. Is the converter freely available? Is it easy to use?

Thanks.  It's not released yet.  It's fairly easy to use, once the YM is un-LHA'd you just run the converter and an exomized data file comes out for the driver.   There are some config options for buzzer/sid support.  (some things I can't detect automatically from the data)  Oh it also supports some digi drum stuff now.

Last edited by 4mat (Nov 9, 2015 12:44 pm)

Very WIP.  Atari POKEY wrapper for sid playing some old Rob Hubbard tracks. (no file conversion/streaming as it's all 6502)   WIll only support the (sid-style) config with a 16-bit bass on channels 1+2, bass-side is still being worked on hence it's out of tune here. 

edit: later video

Last edited by 4mat (Dec 22, 2015 6:34 pm)

Mostly testing out the idea (tracker exports source which is compiled by Dasm and then played back through Vice) but sort of works.  Obviously won't have actual playback in the tracker this way.

Nomad's Land

Hell yes, this looks promising! So... what are your plans in regards to the feature set? Will it have viznut waveforms and extra frequency resolution?

irrlichtproject wrote:

Hell yes, this looks promising! So... what are your plans in regards to the feature set? Will it have viznut waveforms and extra frequency resolution?

It's primarily an interface for my various drivers, so it'll also support a few c64 ones and whatever else I want to plug in.  On the Vic-20 side it does viznut waves (though they're not a separate part of the wavetables yet) , other stuff it depends on how workable those things are in a demo/game etc. , though samples and multi-speed are on the cards.  Not sure how the 9-bit frequency stuff works or if it requires strict timing.

Nomad's Land

Dunno how the higher frequency res works either, but have a look at this player by Slimeball: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7025 … 65_VIC.zip

Thanks, I'll take a look.  What I'd probably do at some point is keep the 'demo friendly' driver and add a 'music only' one with anything a bit more cpu intensive in it.   The latter would also increase the 16 pattern limit.

sid driver with sfx expander cart support, giving you 12 channels. (3 sid + 9 fm)

FM expander driver progress, now has .XM converter for importing song data.  I do like the slight detune running SID channels along with the FM chords.

Those are some interesting sounds smile

Continuing the FM fun here's a little .VGM player to run compatible arcade games on the cartridge.

FInal POKEY emulation:

Last bit of polish, adding a "smart" buzz simulation that uses 2 channels when free to simulate the buzzer harmonics.