Hey everyone. Coming from a few other music submission sites, I'm familiar with the rules for uploading original tracks generally excluding those run through things like GSXCC, a program that converts the instruments of pre-made midis into a set of square waves and drum samples, making it sound "8-bit", for those who aren't already familiar with it. This rids any need of creative thought or even labor into making music, which I think is a pretty big spit in the face to those who actually work hard making original chip tracks. Anyway, I ask this because someone's been posting music here that's likely been run through GSXCC. There's no confession from the guy who uploaded them yet, but there's solid enough proof that this is definitely the case. Here's a link to the guy's public profile on this site:

http://chipmusic.org/sankirumi

Firstly, you'll notice that all of these tracks have been uploaded to this site extremely close together. Like, within a few days. If they were like quick doodles, that'd be semi believable, but it isn't so. These are like full covers to entire Daft Punk and Skrillex songs. Super improbable that anyone covers music that fast. But forget about that. If you just listen to anyone of these tracks that he's made, anyone already familiar with bland GSXCC covers will immediately know what the hell's going on. The droning, attack-less squares and that generic sounding pulse snare is in every one of this dude's covers, not to mention every song ever run through GSXCC. There's a small chance that this is intentional or that his style just so happens to sound like that same "8-bit" cover of fucking Party Rock Anthem on YouTube, but again, super improbable knowing the people who desperately want to make "8-bit" music on the internet. So is this kind of stuff even allowed here? I just thought I'd alert someone, it seemed off to me that this dude's stuff was getting like 5 star ratings and sounded like 8-bit GSXCC.

Last edited by lamsorz (Jan 30, 2016 9:22 pm)

California

It's definitely frowned upon, if nothing else.

Also, ratings don't really mean that much, since they're just a measure of comments/favorites per view; get enough people to view a track without commenting or favoriting it, and the rating goes down.

England

song title + 8bit cover is one of my favourite youtube searches :(

well its not really my kinda thing :P but people love this stuff.

Arranger has an incredibly sharp ear for detail. Every musical flourish in the original is preserved. Stunning work.

Wow. You guys have a lot of talent, and every single video you post just blows me away. You don't have nearly as many subs as you deserve. Keep up the great work!

I love how the bass line is exactly the same as the real song. This is so layered for an 8bit song, which really makes it stand out in my opinion. Fantastic job.

I found you guys last night, and I have to say, impressive work. Your videos have an intricate level of detail, however they preserve the feel of the original sound system they were intended to be played on. (Mainly the three note system with the nes and the like). They are a glorious remastering of already famous tracks and you guys deserve so much more attention than you get.

My only complaint is that you miss out on the nuances of bent strings. Other than that, fabulous work

This is, byfar, the best 8-bit remix I've ever heard. Aside from the few lyrics I tried to sing along to, I'm speechless. Amazing.

Dude this is perfect man. Brings me back so many memories. I won't be surprised if this channel makes it to 100,000 subscribers or more.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 30, 2016 12:24 pm)

Mars

Well, I'll answer this post, I made the songs before I checked this site, a friend recommended this page and told me to start to upload videos to Youtube. So the songs went up so fast, I have over 15 songs done, I do not blame you for thinking bad, I would too, Greetings. (I did the songs just to show them to my friends and i never thought on uploading them to the Internet).

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea we are ok with talentless dweebs.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using GSXCC, it's a piece of software designed to emulate the Konami SCC sound chip and in the right hands I've seen it do neat things. However, stealing other people's MIDI files and simply running it through GSXCC would be theft. If you find evidence that these songs are taken straight from existing MIDI files, then you have a case.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This MIDI file matches exactly the song he uploaded.

https://freemidi.org/download-19379-dig … d=noscript

jefftheworld wrote:

This MIDI file matches exactly the song he uploaded.

https://freemidi.org/download-19379-dig … d=noscript

Yeah, this is what I meant. No hate on the dude who uploaded these, but I just thought this kind of stuff wouldn't be allowed here. if you guys are cool with it though, there's no issue. Never thought I'd hear GSXCC on the practical successor to 8bc, lol.

Last edited by lamsorz (Jan 30, 2016 9:17 pm)

Sankirumi wrote:

Well, I'll answer this post, I made the songs before I checked this site, a friend recommended this page and told me to start to upload videos to Youtube. So the songs went up so fast, I have over 15 songs done, I do not blame you for thinking bad, I would too, Greetings. (I did the songs just to show them to my friends and i never thought on uploading them to the Internet).

No hard feelings, m8. I only suggest learning how to make your own music for this forum, and just in general, really. Original stuff always sounds better than GSXCC midis, and the process is much more fun.

I will always post this album when discussing GSXCC:
https://tenebrium.bandcamp.com/releases

Written with a General MIDI sequencer and then converted with GSXCC but since it's completely original music and doesn't exist in any other released format than this, I think this may be a great example of how to nicely use GSXCC.

That and the music is spectacular.

New Zealand
an0va wrote:

Written with a General MIDI sequencer and then converted with GSXCC but since it's completely original music and doesn't exist in any other released format than this, I think this may be a great example of how to nicely use GSXCC.

Wow! That really is awesome.

Earth
an0va wrote:

GSXCC is a great tool. That's a very cool album.

Chicago, IL

I am not against it, but if you can find a hand-made 8-bit cover done in a tracker vs a converted deal, the authentic one is always gonna blow it away. There are some awesome Daft Punk covers out there. I have found some cheapish Smiths and Radiohead ones that I still listen to despite their lack of 'authenticity'...