Hey, finished a new batch of songs that's available for streaming / downloading.  Spreading the word and seeking feedback.  Link is below:

http://davidorigmusic.weebly.com/chip_vol_ii.html

Thanks.

France

Enjoy/critique/ignore => For my part I'd say I enjoy your songs very much! I like the "metal" feeling in them and the strong melodies, and it remains very original nevertheless. You're a great composer!

Clermont-Ferrand, France

enjoy <--
critique
ignore

Very nice sounds, congrats. How did you make this ?

Thanks for the feedback garvalf and PleaseLoseBattle.

Glad to hear the melodies come across strongly.  A lack of a melodic structure has been a common critique for me in the past (with my music in general) - good to hear that things are improving in that regard.

As far as making it, I use Famitracker.  All the tracks for this album use the 2A03 Chip setting - I like the limitation of just five waves (i.e., two Square, one Triangle, one Noise, one DPCM).  I recorded the drum samples on a friend's kit, downgraded the quality, and imported them to Famitracker.  I usually do my mixing in Famitracker as well but for these tracks I ended up bouncing each wave separately and adjusting their overall volumes in Pro Tools because I was having trouble getting the drum samples to be audible over the other waves.

Thanks again for the feedback.

NC in the US of America

Neat. rockin' chiptunes that actually sounds like something that an actual band with guitars and drums would actually play. Also could fit in a video game soundtrack very nicely, but it just sounds like... organically sounds like music that wouldn't sound forced if a live band played it. Well done. That's actually kind of rare in this genre, even in the classic video game music. Very refreshing to hear.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Feb 4, 2016 1:50 am)

Thanks for the feedback, SketchMan3 - a lot of nice things to hear.  I enjoy music the most when it's arranged in a way that a live band could actually perform so I try to arrange my songs that way.  Glad to hear that structure comes across in the final tracks.

Saw your unedited post as I was leaving work yesterday - ha.  Definitely working on improving the checkout system of the website.  Had to fashion a wonky workaround to give people the choice of free or paid downloads because my service provider doesn't offer a name-your-price option.  It's a work in progress.

Utah

I just meant to take a quick listen to check it out but ended up listening to the whole thing. Quite enjoyable.