Glasgow, Scotland.
SketchMan3 wrote:

Emulators mean you can practically use your thumbs, your fingertips, your feet, drumsticks, or whatever else you can think of that can send game control input to your computer.

Edit: Hardware is definitely the coolest thing, though. Can't beat that mojo. Especially if it's unmodded.

Just because you can doesn't mean that it's comfortable. Maybe if I had that much dexterity in my feet I might try though wink I personally don't like using the keyboard for much else apart from typing words; I was never a big PC gamer either, preferring consoles.

edit: Unless it was Worms or Civilisation or something similar. Then it'd be mouse/keyboard all the way!

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Feb 12, 2016 12:00 pm)

Whateverville, California

Here's one argument for hardware you might not have heard before: I prefer the actual gameboy because it's battery powered. I live off the grid and often power is scarce/unavailable depending on what outside phenomena are effecting our PV system.
I've been trying to get into AT2, but the PC I built for it is just too power hungry to run at any time besides the middle of the day. I usually find time to track before or after work, essentially before or after sunrise/set.

Emulator seems pretty cool for the nigh - unlimited processing power and storage/recording flexablity, but really the gameboy feels best for so many other reasons. I've had one in my hands for 20+ years now, so it just feels like home.

France

I prefer on an android tablet or smartphone, sounds good enough, small form factor, usb charging, backlight, and I use the touch screen so it's quite much like the real thing. I can also use a cheap (5 €) bluetooth controller to get real buttons.

Ardèche, France

I found it more comfortable to use with the good old DMG.
I tried with an emulator, but my Logitech Dual Action controller has a horrible D-pad, and joysticks feel meh, where keyboard was uncomfortable, and difficult.
Before I had a cartridge, I was doing some practice things with my Xperia M2 with MyOldBoy! emulator. Touchscreen is not that bad, but I think it's not the most comfortable we can get.
And with DMG, Pocket and Color, it feels good and natural. And it fits in the pocket (my phone too, but it's not the same). I have a legit experiment with the true hardware, so I prefer it.
And also, actually there is no equivalent to the PS/2 and Arduinoboy/MIDI keyboard support with emulation. I think if it was the case, I will look again into emulation for when I'm home, and when I'll have a cartgridge reader/writer (I love to have one place to save and sync everything).
Finally, too keep the song files, a cartridge with SRAM is not the best thing in my opinion. I prefer keeping them in a safty hard drive.

Austin, TX

I like to stick to DMG's because it feels more focused.  I'm also very used to the muscle memory of how to control LSDJ on a DMG.  This makes it a bit difficult to use a keyboard, or a different controller.

I've found that the NES "dogbone" style controller, with a usb adapter works great.  The button placement and feel is very similar to the DMG.

I'd love to have a USB controller with the shape, layout, and weight of a DMG.

Why not both?
I have both a DMG our own ThursdayCustoms built for me, as well as using vba8 on my Windows Phone. The device is a Lumia 1520, so it has both higher end hardware spec and a big screen, it's comfortable and doesn't really hiccup, and no need to worry about a failing battery wiping out your sav since you can cloud sync it and do a local backup. There is nothing however quite like the sound of a real DMG, especially for the low-end. I have tinkered with all kinds of crapola, such as recording a channel from the smartphone, and the others from the DMG and putting them together on the PC. Lots of quick switching stereo effects tend to give the DMG a hard time for example, so voila there's a way around that. If it were possible to sync LSDJ between the emulator on the phablet with the DMG, that would be pretty wicked, but there's always other means smile

As for the original question, there are a couple of arguments that exist on the sidelines here. One; considering emulated vs hardware reminds me of the debate of the sound quality of vinyl vs CD. Everyone who cares at all about music has heard of or engaged in that one at one point. The other is the purist argument; one saying it's only real chip music if it's done on real hardware vs the other (sometimes labeled fakebit) that are simply emulating the hardware or sampling it and actually making the music in a DAW. Fun subjects to ponder.

In any event, my original statement remains the same for any angle one could look at LSDJ or chip music in general with; why not both smile

Taichung, Taiwan
Tyla-joe Connett wrote:

i'm talking about an emulator such as the openemu or the visual boy vs a gameboy pocket/colour/DMG i know the first super GB had some clock issues.

thanks for commenting.

There was an update patch with LSDj that corrected the clock speed difference with the SGB.

Taichung, Taiwan

Hardware ftw.

Lake Titicaca

littlegamepark tracker is beeter

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Pulse … ulselooper

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Feb 14, 2016 7:56 pm)

NUMBSKULL
katsumbhong wrote:

Hardware ftw.

Jealous! Does the sgb2 have a DMG size link port or a pocket one?

Michigan
catskull wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

Hardware ftw.

Jealous! Does the sgb2 have a DMG size link port or a pocket one?

pocket

on original DMG always, i just love that warm fuzzy analog sound to it

Australia
HimsyPimsy wrote:

I like to stick to DMG's because it feels more focused.  I'm also very used to the muscle memory of how to control LSDJ on a DMG.  This makes it a bit difficult to use a keyboard, or a different controller.

I've found that the NES "dogbone" style controller, with a usb adapter works great.  The button placement and feel is very similar to the DMG.

I'd love to have a USB controller with the shape, layout, and weight of a DMG.

While I was waiting for my SNES controllers to arrive, I wrote a small ROM to interface the gameboy to a USB-Gamepad bridge I built. With the LCD and Audio off, and the CPU sleeping 90% of the time, it used very little power. It felt a lot more comfortable than a NES/SNES pad in an emulator.

If anyone is interested I can dig out the source

Ardèche, France

Benn, I think you've done a fabulous work again. I definitely want to try it.
Does it work in Xinput or DirectInput?

Australia

The USB bridge is the stock standard Gamepad protocol as defined in the USB Spec. I've used it on my XP,Win7/8, Lubuntu and on my Android Tab.

In windows it appears as a gamepad, BGB, Nesticle etc all detect it as a gamepad. On my tab it just works. I can navigate my home screen/browser etc...

Ardèche, France

It works by soldering a USB cable and a link cable together or with your LSDJ linker?