NUMBSKULL

For a class I have to make a little booklet in inDesign. I thought it would be nice to have a little instruction manual to go along with all the kits I sell.

The problem is that the documentation available isn't super amazing. A lot of the modes I can't really test either.

I was wondering if people have experience using different modes, they could post a little info on how to set it up and any tips and tricks you might have.

All the work I've done with it is released under the same license that the original code was released under (GPLv2). This document would be released under the same license.

Here's a copy of the documentation Trash80 originally wrote:
- Affordable and easily accessible parts for assembly.
- Accurate MIDI Sync, Start and Stop commands.
- Push Button to select the sync/state mode (7 modes available)
- LSDJ as MIDI Slave Sync with sync effects and midi note transport control. Also Note value to LSDJ song position row offset on Song Start.
- LSDJ as MIDI Master Sync. Send Midi sync with LSDJ, LSDJ also sends a Midi Note on message that corresponds to the song row number
- LSDJ PC Keyboard mode. with the first octave controlling M-U-T-E, Cursor control (LSDJ Live mode only), Table selection and table cue.
- MIDI to Nanoloop sync
- Full MIDI with mGB (Details below)
- LSDJ LIVE MAP ... incoming MIDI notes cue LSDJ row numbers, requires custom LSDJ version on the LSDJ site.
- LSDJ MIDIOUT ... sends MIDI out from LSDJ, requires custom LSDJ version on the LSDJ site.
- Midi Out Doubles as a Midi Thru
- "Filtering" data for only sync messages, no dedicated MIDI line required.
- Tested and works with DMG (Original), Gameboy Color, and Advance/SP.
- Can be powered by the gamelink port.
- USB upgradeable via Arduino.
- mGB Cartridge Mode: Full MIDI in support across all Gameboy Channels, including a unique "poly" mode. Tested and works with DMG01, GBC, GBA, GB AdvanceSP

Unsubscribe

I touch on using it as a midi out device in my xiwi review, feel free to use anything there:
http://www.peterswimm.com/new-arduinobo … ectronics/

NUMBSKULL

Thanks Peter, that's useful! So with that, do you use LIVE MAP mode or MIDI OUT mode? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just have never had any issues with midi out at all.

Unsubscribe

Midi out ! Mostly I use it to setup patches and set the root pitch for my vocoder

NUMBSKULL
LEDs

There are a total of 6 LED's on the arduinoboy. 5 of them indicate modes, and one is a status led that doesn't do a whole lot other than blink in some modes. Honestly the status LED could probably be removed without any issues.

The status LED is on pin 13 of the arduino.

The mode LED's are on pins 8-12 of the arduino. Starting at pin 8, the modes are as follows:
- mGB
- Nanoloop
- MIDI in to LSDJ keyboard
- LSDJ master sync
- LSDJ slave sync

There are additional modes that combine LED's and require a special version of LSDJ to use:
- If LSDJ slave and master blink together, that is LIVE MAP mode. "incoming MIDI notes cue LSDJ row numbers, requires custom LSDJ version on the LSDJ site."
- If all the LED's blink together, that's LSDJ Midi out mode. PU1, PU2, WAV, and NOISE send midi data on midi channels 1-4 respectively.
- I added another mode for the PS/2 jack on my kit. In that mode, Slave, Master, and Keyboard all blink together.

NUMBSKULL
KEYBOARD MODE

To use the keyboard mode, follow these steps:

• Set the arduinoboy to Keyboard mode

• Set LSDJ sync mode to Keyboard

• Make an empty chain

• Make an empty phrase

• In the phrase, put one note at the top

• Send MIDI notes via Arduinoboy MIDI in on channel 16.

• You should hear sound!

Found this just moments ago, which i think is a very nice way to visualize the modes

Also, i dont think you actually need to add a note on the phrase, just making an empty phrase should be enough... i just managed to get it to function now. kindof a shame that there's no PU1+PU2 mode (as far as i can tell from Trash80's documentation).

i think lsdj keyboard is probably one of the best features! especially if you're as much of a fan of automation tables as i am (really what sets lsdj on a diff level from all other GB music roms.) glad i dont have to sacrifice the tables for midi... gonna have my cake and eat it too big_smile

NUMBSKULL

Just to note, mGB will combine PU1, PU2, and WAV if you send MIDI on channel 5.

catskull wrote:

Just to note, mGB will combine PU1, PU2, and WAV if you send MIDI on channel 5.

oh yeah i know, i was talking about LSDJ keyboard mode. (on the regular PS/2 keyboard, you could choose which PU channel you wanted to control PU1 or PU2 or PU1+PU2... i used to transpose one of them an octave lower (sometimes a fifth higher) and play them together... it sounded great... BUT it was definitely unstable to say the least... at least from my brief experimentation now with aboy lsdj keyboard, it's more stable (and i can use an actual keyboard/DAW to play lsdj. excellent!

Im aiming to have 3 Aboys with 3 GBs one with mGB (each channel separate) one to control poly for chords and one with lsdj to have awesome tables. + drum rack in ableton.

Another cool thing about aboy i only recently realized was the midi out can also be a midi thru. so no need for a midi splitter box.