brooklyn, NY

New to using LSDJ MidiOut.    does this mode send Midi Start/Stop and clock ticks?   Looking at the arduino sketch, it looks like it should ...but im not getting any.  Target Synths (on the correct channel) play but I need to sync some other devices to the clock tick.

Also,   Im only getting accurate Progam Changes  from 00 to 6F-   after that either nothing happens or it goes back to repeat lower # patches.   im using a Moog Sub 37, which has 16 banks of 16 presets.... (which I thought would make it easy).

Am I missing something here?

thanks

Unsubscribe

It doesnt send midi clock.

Youll have to check what happens when the moog receives program changes, you might have to send a bank change command (midi cc 00 which arduinoboy cant do) to get it above 6f patches, Ive only tested it to 99 because none of my gear does higher than that, but you can check in a midi monitor what it does or does not send.

brooklyn, NY

Thats a bummer, but thanks.    Im sure there is good reason, but why doesnt MidiOut spit out clock ticks?  Seems like it would be really...   What is this line doing?:

while(1){
     if(getIncommingSlaveByte()) {
        if(incomingMidiByte > 0x6f) {
          switch(incomingMidiByte)
          {
           case 0x7F: //clock tick
             Serial.write(0xF8);

...isnt it writing a midi clock tick for every LSDJ tick?

Unsubscribe

The gameboy would choke on sending clock and midi out.

NUMBSKULL
Charbot wrote:

Thats a bummer, but thanks.    Im sure there is good reason, but why doesnt MidiOut spit out clock ticks?  Seems like it would be really...   What is this line doing?:

while(1){
     if(getIncommingSlaveByte()) {
        if(incomingMidiByte > 0x6f) {
          switch(incomingMidiByte)
          {
           case 0x7F: //clock tick
             Serial.write(0xF8);

...isnt it writing a midi clock tick for every LSDJ tick?

That does appear to be sending a midi clock, but I have no idea what's going on with that code. Maybe we could pray to trash80 and he'd clarify it?

brooklyn, NY
herr_prof wrote:

The gameboy would choke on sending clock and midi out.

ok-  I think i get it.    if it did receive the LSDJ tick, the arduinoboy could send midi clock, but LSDJ or the GB can only do one thing at a time.    If it is constantly sending the clock tick, it cant send other information.

oof

I should have know better.... it seemed like a way too perfect solution to what i want to do.   i had such high hope for MidiOut... but I need a clock.
I guess I could make another arduino-midi device that counts other midi messages sent by one of the LSDJ channels, multiplies- and puts out a clocktick... getting a little convoluted, tho.

Last edited by Charbot (Mar 24, 2016 12:52 am)

rochester, ny

no advice here but as a fellow LSDJ + Sub37 user, i wanted to say hello!

brooklyn, NY

Hi Nick!

Unsubscribe

What do you need tempo for? I've found that triggering arps via dmg midi commands and letting each have their own tempos works well enough.

brooklyn, NY

several things-  a DR-55 that Ive modded to slave w/ midi clock and a Deluxe memory boy to which I added midi clock-to-tap tempo pulse.   

Trying to get a small solo rig together.  No computer.  i wanted LSDJ to be the master sequencer for a small desktop synth (perhaps minitaur)   playing some  passages on it along with some LSDJ bits.   I know I could (and should) add full midi to the DR 55 (midi notes trigger pads) and keep the all the programming in LSDJ... but I was hoping not to.

In a perfect world LSDJ Midi Out would be able to sync w/ Midi IN tempo.  sad

Last edited by Charbot (Mar 24, 2016 2:31 am)

Unsubscribe

How does the tap tempo thing work? Maybe the gameboy can send it a cc message to trigger the taps?

brooklyn, NY

the tap tempo is just basically littlescale's   midi to blink  sketIch  so it definitely be modified to listen for CC's , but i dont want to mess w/ it.  the DMB gets a lot of use in my band and works perfectly as is. There is a lot of midi command floating around in our signal chain and  midi clock keeps it all nice and simple with no surprises.   I can live w/o or work around the delay, so not a huge issue there.     the drum machine tho.....

I'm saying this with almost 0 knowledge about the midi and gameboy-link protocol... But...

If the GB can't SEND both midi notes and ticks at the same time..
Could it be set up in such a way that is SENDS midi notes and RECIEVES clock ticks?
So you set a drum computer as a master and lsdj as a slave that also sends midi notes...

You'd probably won't be able to use the groove tables and T commands, but you can sync smile

Edit: no wait, groove would still work...

Last edited by Timbob (Mar 24, 2016 7:36 am)

Sweden

I also wanted clock in MIDI out mode so I made this:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17404 … l-routing/

You need both an Arduinoboy and a Raspberry Pi. The RPi adds clock and other functions controllable via CC from the Gameboy.

brooklyn, NY

Ledfyr, I was checking that out the other day but am a little dumb with R pi so I was a little overwhelmed (also I think my pi is at my exgirlfriends house...which presents another hassle).   could you post a pic or schematic of how the whole thing gets connected ?   so the the PI and usb interface acting like a midi merge....  what gets connected to what?  Arduinoboy connections? 

if the Pi can add MIDI clock IN.... its not a limitation of the GB hardware.    Timbob, I think what you are suggesting might be possible, but guessing not with an arduino.   Teensy?

Last edited by Charbot (Mar 24, 2016 5:19 pm)

Unsubscribe

It cant add midi clock in, but it creates a remote clock master you can control via midi ccs or notes.