Ardèche, France

It's getting dusty in there.

Bumbing it to have some news.

Unsubscribe

try again in six months

I built a chrome app that takes MIDI input from a choosable source and transfers it to BGB via it's tcp link protocol. I build it to test software i am working on at the moment. Biggest problem is that the connection is slow from the beginning and gets unbearable slow over time.
I don't know if it's due to my quickly implemented code or due to the fact, that javascript through chrome app is just too much overhead in a tcp communication. I quess it's a bit of both.

Implementing the link protocol is fairly simple as soon as one understands how to cope with the timestamps that BGB is relying on.

I'm currently not working on this but might be, when further testing is necessary. (Will soon be the case)

But my main question is:
Are people interested in having a "virtual arduinoboy" in a chrome app which requires the chrome browser?

And to answer the question of "why chrome app and not pure javascript?":  Javascript run in a browser cannot establish tcp connections.

NUMBSKULL

Do you have the source code anywhere? I'd be really interested to look through it.

I like the chrome app idea. Could you possibly do it with Node and Electron instead? That way it would be it's own standalone program.

But yeah, I'd be really interested to try it out. Not that I would use it that much, but I'd like to dig through your code to understand it more.

Riverside, CA
zemzelett wrote:

Are people interested in having a "virtual arduinoboy" in a chrome app which requires the chrome browser?

god no. native application pls.

Detroit

I feel like this is a hella unnecessary step to get it working with a DAW.  Why not just export the raw audio via the sound option and load it into the DAW?  I just don't see a huge benefit beyond real-time composition and even then it seems like a mess.

catskull wrote:

Do you have the source code anywhere? I'd be really interested to look through it.

I like the chrome app idea. Could you possibly do it with Node and Electron instead? That way it would be it's own standalone program.

But yeah, I'd be really interested to try it out. Not that I would use it that much, but I'd like to dig through your code to understand it more.

Yeah, i think it could also be done with node. I don't have the code online somewhere as it is to specificly coded for my needs and i wouldn't like to post it somewhere unless i made it work a little more reliable. PM me your e-mail and i'll send the source to you if you like.

The Silph Scope wrote:

god no. native application pls.

Yeah, that's what i thought too. A native app would not have to cope with all that javascript abstraction overhead.

Last edited by zemzelett (Apr 20, 2016 9:06 am)

Ardèche, France
The One Electronic wrote:

I feel like this is a hella unnecessary step to get it working with a DAW.  Why not just export the raw audio via the sound option and load it into the DAW?  I just don't see a huge benefit beyond real-time composition and even then it seems like a mess.

Wouln't it be cool to use a GameBoy emulator like a VST? I think it's more for DAW to GameBoy than GambeBoy to DAW. Mgb is an awesome ROM to play with, and there's a lot more to do with midi in emulation. Because actually, for developpers, testing a ROM with arduinoboy compatibility is only possible with the real hardware, and flashing carts over and over is a big waste of time. Midi in GameBoys could be used in very creative ways, I think, and emulation could help both developpers and people don't wanting to spend money on a flash cart and an arduinoboy, at least to get in touch with this tech

Last edited by Adzetko (Apr 20, 2016 10:50 pm)