Lake Titicaca

But you could make money if you created a live set about an hour long consisting of modern sound design techniques AND a midi synced gameboy or two (with kaoss pad live effects processing)

You are probably right. Only speaking personally I leave that to the Bit Shifters of the world to figure out. Me, no way. A friend of mine's band over the last year has asked me twice to do an opening set for them to which I politely declined. I have zero desire to ever play live and as such won't. I can only tip my hat to those who could or do make any money with any chip music, but I myself don't go for it. I put all of my own music out for free, and even front the cost for the last 6 years and running for my own little website, and do not have a paypal donate button. I refuse to put material on Bandcamp. I for fun use Amazon's Createspace to make my finalized and uncompressed "releases" into real CDs that are sold at minimum meaning I make exactly 0 on the occasions they sell.

Do forgive all the blabbing sir. You just happened to bring up a subject I have serious feelings about. I have spent money a few times so someone else could profit (like when I bought the 8bit Operators and 8BP050 CDs), but more or less, I hold high admiration for those who keep chiptune free, open and genuinely indy.

I don't know about Gameboy chip in particular being that expensive if you have any affinity to create it. It's like when is the last time you had a desire to make any sort of music and then go to a music store and buy an instrument. Even something small like a flute for example let alone a guitar, drumset, saxophone, or what have you. Pretty expensive comparatively speaking. It's easy to find an old DMG up to something like an Advance SP for under $50, then an EMS cart for under $30. Be kind enough to donate more than $1 as you set your price (say $20), and there. One can do Gameboy chip and make all those sounds and music for $100 or possibly less. It can get expensive like any other form of music if you start taking it real seriously and get good mods done, get good recording hardware, etc. But that's the beauty of chip, you don't have to spend much to make awesome stuff with even real hardware. I say it should be fun, and even a heartfelt hobby, but a means to a job or income...nah.

Last edited by bitpusher2600 (Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm)

Lake Titicaca

Indeed.

Verily, I must confess that I, much like yourself sir, have neither the time nor the inclination to take to the stage in an effort to savour the experience of performing in a public locale.

However, I do concede that oneself does continue to harbor the ambition to, mayhaps in the not too distant future, upload digital video recordings of ones own musical tracker "performances" to the globally popular website known as 'youtube'.

Certainly, it is admirable indeed, good fellow, that you endevour to create your own compact discs, not simply in the pursuit of monetary gain, but instead as an offering to the unbridled love of creativity itself.

One heartily accepts the sentiment contained within your statements concerning the financial burden associated with the purchase of traditional musical instruments.

Undeniably, comparitively high quality musical contraptions are, after all, the fruits of a skilled craftsman's labours, are they not?

Ah, I recollect the occasions (which are now many moons past) when I ventured into the distant forest and sat upon the tuffet in the glen, playing a whimsical melody on my piccolo to accompany the sounds which came forth from my gameboy advance (with nanoloop 2.3 cartridge)...that which I had composed at an earlier time.

Such as it was, truly a beauteous, albeit somewhat lonesome ceremony.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 21, 2016 1:43 am)

Ah yes, you win. That was downright gorgeous. smile

Lake Titicaca

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 21, 2016 1:51 am)

Detroit

fuck that I paid all my bills this month on gameboy-only jams eat my butt

Last edited by The One Electronic (Apr 21, 2016 2:35 am)

Brunswick, GA USA
sandneil wrote:

iirc ilocan was actually the father of some "pretty big deal" chiptuner. his songs were great and his 8bc persona was very endearing

If you mean this ilocan https://www.youtube.com/user/ilocan18

He was Chibitech's father. I don't remember when he died.

Also what the hell is this thread about again?

Last edited by chunter (Apr 21, 2016 3:34 am)

Atlanta, GA

"Ugh this banner message is ugly."
"yeah, let's talk about 8BC and live performance instead"
"sounds reasonable"
This is why I always come back to cm.o. no turn of direction too abrupt.

Toronto, Canada

What was the banner message in question?

IL, US
Starshine wrote:

What was the banner message in question?

anyone who really wants to know can check the twitter for the tweet before this one... @chip_music

TSSBAY01

yo that was some killer tom of finland style promo in that first gay thread.

NC in the US of America
chunter wrote:
sandneil wrote:

iirc ilocan was actually the father of some "pretty big deal" chiptuner. his songs were great and his 8bc persona was very endearing

If you mean this ilocan https://www.youtube.com/user/ilocan18

He was Chibitech's father. I don't remember when he died.

Also, wow, the song title apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Nice musical legacy.

This makes me smile.

I wonder what he used to write these.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 22, 2016 11:26 pm)