Ottawa, ON

I've got a Genesis Model 3 (NTSC) + Flash Cart + Arduino Uno but little-to-no experience with writing my own music for that platform.  What can I do to help?

Last edited by jmr (Mar 15, 2016 8:16 pm)

Adelaide, Australia
radian wrote:

Will a Teensey work for 2 ?

Unfortunately I don't think the Arduino code is compatible with the Teensy, so I don't think so.

radian wrote:

Otherwise can I join 1 or 4 ?

For sure! If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll ask xspheric to send you a ROM to test on your Mega Drive. Thanks!

---

jmr wrote:

I've got a Genesis Model 3 (NTSC) + Flash Cart + Arduino Uno but little-to-no experience with writing my own music for that platform.  What can I do to help?

Sounds great! Don't worry, we have a test ROM that already contains some VGM music. It'd be great if you can help us test with your Arduino connected to the Genesis. If you PM me your email we'll send you the test ROM and Arduino code. You will need to wire up a Genesis joypad cable to the Arduino but it's only 3 wires, so not too hard. We'll send full details by email. :]

Alabama
freezedream wrote:
radian wrote:

Will a Teensey work for 2 ?

Unfortunately I don't think the Arduino code is compatible with the Teensy, so I don't think so.

On the contrary, most of the code should work pretty easily. Also, the Teensy 3.0+ models support USB hosting in addition to native USB MIDI functionality. If anything, the Teensy 3.0-3.2 family would have been the easier, cheaper, and smaller board for this hack. Not to mention it would leave room for easy implementation of PC connectivity/DAW clock sync.

Yes, Teensy should work. I think Arduino Uno was just what freezedream could get his hands on easily at the time.

It sounds like the native USB MIDI support on Teensy is USB device not USB host, is that right? USB device could still be useful for PC connectivity as you say. We have been thinking about adding clock sync.

Saskrotch radian jmr, just sent you some things to try. Thanks!

Does anyone know whether Launchpad Mini is the MK2 protocol? I'd be happy to try and add MK2 support if everything else is working.

Alabama

2.0 and 3.0 families can both do USB MIDI, the 3.0 line specifically can also act as USB MIDI host as I stated in my previous post.

MK2 does not work very well with devices and code for "legacy" Launchpad models like the mini, S, or original model. Certain common messages or sysex commands will cause the MK2 and Pro to freeze (a terrible move on Novation's part, nukes any sort of backwards compatibility). I have a copy of the programming guide on my dropbox for some personal projects https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6dyimr3zzl0p … e.pdf?dl=0

MK2 and Pro are cool, would be neat to see support for them as well. I personally own a MK2 but have owned 2 original models and 2 S's in the past.

Last edited by MaxDolensky (Mar 16, 2016 4:29 pm)

Melbtown, Lolstralia

Have an original launchpad, Mega Drive II a few different arduinos, willing to buy a flashcart to get on board with this!

Super excited with the concept

Melbtown, Lolstralia

PM'd

Last edited by Dot.AY (Mar 19, 2016 10:26 am)

Melbourne, Australia

Wow, this is amazing! Awesome work, Freezedream~

Adelaide, Australia
Calavera wrote:

Wow, this is amazing! Awesome work, Freezedream~

Thanks dude! More updates soon. :]

Glasgow

This is something I have been looking for for so long! I love the Mega Drive (I've got a Model 1 - PAL) and I've always wanted to make music with the actual console rather than use emulators.

I'd love to help in any way I can smile

Milwaukee, WI

This is like my dream software right here. Would make my dual Nomad DJ setup I'm envisioning so much easier! Props!

Theta_Frost, freezedream and I have been talking about potential future support for running two segas either in lock-step (aiming at having more channels and two separate outputs for different mixing/effects) or somewhat independently (e.g. multiple segas and Arduinos/Teensys controlled separately/MIDI tempo sync). Ideas welcome.

Devereux, I can send you a ROM to test? Could I get your email address? (PM or email via my profile)

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

I'm working on an update to get the tempo locked down precisely right according to the vertical interrupt, and hope to have a second beta ready soon.

We haven't been able to get in contact with everyone via PM. For anyone still able to help out with further testing - please drop me an email via my profile!

Brighton
xspheric wrote:

Theta_Frost, freezedream and I have been talking about potential future support for running two segas either in lock-step (aiming at having more channels and two separate outputs for different mixing/effects) or somewhat independently (e.g. multiple segas and Arduinos/Teensys controlled separately/MIDI tempo sync). Ideas welcome.

I *may* have already formed a duo in anticipation so yes please.

FIRST: i'd like to say that this project looks great! i've inherited a coule of Segas from my cousins when they were cleaning out the house and since i'm the "8 bit guy" they automatically thought of me. perfect.

I ususally just used gameboys up o this point but ive been thinking of including a sega in my live setup.

i did some research and from my understanding the sega master system is more accessible for music DIY than the genesis?

Anyways i have a technical question about he sound chips... i was researching the sound chips on them and i understand that on the japanese model of the SMS there's the yamaha chip? YM... something something. (sorry i forget the numbers) but on the north american version it's an SN76489....

I opened up my master system and i could not find that chip.... in fact i couldn't find any chip that seemed like a ound chip. on little scale's blog he mentions in the prosound mod that the sn is inside of the sega 315-5146.... but the closest chip i could find on mine was 315-5216....tried to find some docs on it but couldn't find anything useful.

Tl;Dr... would this work on my sega? and why do i have different chips? on the inside it's marked as a sega M4 powerbase from 1987.
EDIT: Forgot to mention it's NTSC.... so if you're still looking for beta testers i'd be honored to give this a whirl! (i live in montreal, canada)

Last edited by theskyis256k (Apr 30, 2016 2:22 pm)

xspheric wrote:

We haven't been able to get in contact with everyone via PM. For anyone still able to help out with further testing - please drop me an email via my profile!

just emailed you buddy smile