Australia

Morning,

I've been working on a whole lot of gadgets for the gameboy:

SP lcd to DMG adaptor board allows a back or front lit GBA screen to be used in a DMG. Amazing contrast and image quality. Far better than you can get from a backlight mod.

VGA out module for the DMG is a small board you install in your DMG/pocket and will output VGA to a TV/monitor. Supports 2 or 3 times upscaling. Signal can be sent through a 4 pin 2.5/3.5mm socket.

ElCheapoSD flash cart. This was made for LSDJ. 128k sram, 1mbyte ROM and an SD interface for flashing new ROMs and also managing save files. Firmware updatable via the SD cart. A full 1mbyte flash takes 90seconds. Folder and sequential file naming is in development. These are cheap! Less than an EMS and will fit in a standard game cart shell.

V2SD flash cart. This is the big brother with 8mb of rom space, 1 second transfer for a 1mb ROM. Costs a little more.

Heaps of progress pics and videos up on my facebook page. You'll find these gadgets on some of your favorite online stores in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the support!!!!

Michigan

VGA gonna be digital or analog processing? I am legit curious how youre going about this

Australia

Large FIFO buffer captures the D0 and D1 data as the GB spits it out (CPLD to fix up signaling, DRAM refresh constraints etc) then the CPLD generates the v and h sync and the timebase for the FIFO to stream it out.

I'm using 2 buffers to capture the data then replay them in odd and even frames to upscale the video. I'm slowing the pixel clock by 2 or 3 to upscale in the horizontal plane.

I can upscale to 3 times with the third line interlaced, 4 times is too big for a 640x480 frame.

Michigan
BennVenn wrote:

Large FIFO buffer captures the D0 and D1 data as the GB spits it out (CPLD to fix up signaling, DRAM refresh constraints etc) then the CPLD generates the v and h sync and the timebase for the FIFO to stream it out.

I'm using 2 buffers to capture the data then replay them in odd and even frames to upscale the video. I'm slowing the pixel clock by 2 or 3 to upscale in the horizontal plane.

I can upscale to 3 times with the third line interlaced, 4 times is too big for a 640x480 frame.

I love it when you talk dirty to me.

Madriz, Supain

Link to facebook? Ima get some of those cheap sds when you got them for sale smile

I'm highly interested in the VGA out for GB.

Is there a rev1 board left i can buy? I'd probably want it to be pre-assembled as i don't have the appropriate tools to assemble it on my own.

Could one use these to attach any generic screen to a gameboy? (Given one programs the clpd to do so?)

Also, how can one program the CLPD on the board? Do you need a extra programmer? (I once looked into buying one but got overwhelmed with their possibilites and the decision on what i would need...~.~)

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Link to facebook? Ima get some of those cheap sds when you got them for sale smile

Here you go? https://www.facebook.com/BennVennElectronics/

Australia

Zemzelett, the SP adaptor board is your best chance of fitting a non standard LCD to the GB. I have a replacement front DMG PCB in the works which uses a cheap chinese LCD.

To program the CPLD you'll need an 'Altera USB Blaster' - the chinese clones are just as good as the real thing.

South UK

I don't do the Facebook, but I've bookmarked your shop! I want flashcards! And VGA out!

NC in the US of America

wanting one of those el cheapos :9

san diego

i need that sp lcd to dmg adaptor board. The replacement front pcb for the dmg is something i need in my life!
i have 3 non working dmgs all with messd up front panels so this might bring them back to life!

Utah
BennVenn wrote:

I have a replacement front DMG PCB in the works which uses a cheap chinese LCD.

Dude, yes. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Ben, are you planning to put these projects open source to a certain extent?

Australia
zemzelett wrote:

Ben, are you planning to put these projects open source to a certain extent?

Which projects in particular?

I can document my mapper in my SD carts if you like, I am not the most tallented GB coder and I know others can improve my GUI/Code

As for the schematics/Gerbers/VHDL, No I'll be keeping them to myself. A LOT of time and money has gone into prototype boards and revisions of all these devices and I'd like to keep what little profit there is to be made on them. It is hard to find a good example where open sourcing has led to positive development of a product. Especially in such a niche market with specific coding/hardware constraints.

Last edited by BennVenn (May 31, 2016 9:57 pm)

BennVenn wrote:

As for the schematics/Gerbers/VHDL, No I'll be keeping them to myself. A LOT of time and money has gone into prototype boards and revisions of all these devices and I'd like to keep what little profit there is to be made on them. It is hard to find a good example where open sourcing has led to positive development of a product. Especially in such a niche market with specific coding/hardware conatraints.

I was especially thinking of the schematics. But i was afraid that you would not open source these due to the points you stated. I totally understand you though.

Then i'll keep hoping, that all of these things will be available to buy soon. smile (I'm especially waiting for the VGA board)

Last edited by zemzelett (May 31, 2016 9:49 am)