Bucks County, PA

Hello all! Long time no see!!

Now that I'm back home I'm hoping to whip up some new DMGs, and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in a similar build/find out what features and options you're looking for!

Right now I'm working on an internal ArduinoBoy that'd have a Li-Ion inside (I've hacked out the old battery slots for space) along with a few other features: Internal MIDI ports, Pitchmod, Prosound, backlight (of course)-- but I'm curious as to what ya'll are looking for in a DMG, as I'd probably build a few anyway, and would love to get them in the hands of all you talented folk!

I built a few without the recharging feature last year, and had a blast! I also used 2.5mm jack to MIDI adapters, which I'm excited to ditch for full MIDI jacks. I have some cool marbled shells (like the one below) I'm thinking about putting them in, but I'll have some plane ones too!

I'm also planning to release some updated (and smaller) version of these DIY boards I've been printing. I've been trying to track down some SMD optocoupler, and thing I might have finally found some decent ones! And of course the tiny Pitchmod ones too are getting a face-lift!

Anywho.. Thanks for reading! I'm always grateful for all the board has to offer!

TLDR: What mods do you you look for in a DMG? I'm hoping to make a few and sell 'em cheap-ish.

Unsubscribe

Would the battery also power the DMG? Otherwise I am not sure I see the point when the DMG can power the aboy.

Bucks County, PA
herr_prof wrote:

Would the battery also power the DMG? Otherwise I am not sure I see the point when the DMG can power the aboy.

Oh, yeah! Haha! The battery would power the Game Boy itself! It'd also power the arudino and other mods-- but the whole point is get rid of those pesky AAs!

NUMBSKULL

So it's not really a rechargeable arduinoby then right? It's a gameboy with a built in arduinoboy that also has a rechargeable battery?

My 2 cents: I never really got the point of a rechargeable battery in a gameboy. Seems like it's a lot easier to just bring some spare batteries to your show than it is to show up and realize your gameboy is dead, and then wait for it to charge. In a pocket they make a little more sense since the energy density of a li-poly is a lot better than two AAA batteries. Like my SP for example, there's no way of knowing the charge level until it goes into the red.

If you do do it, I suggest using the regular DC jack of the gameboy for charging rather than trying to rig a USB port in it. You can get those USB to DMG cables cheap these days.

Bucks County, PA

Welp... Yeah.. I'm not sure what to call it I suppose-- Rechargeable DMG with internal ArduinoBoy..?

That's a fair point about the charge level though. The indicator wouldn't tell ya much of anything until thirty or so minutes before it dies... I feel like adding an LED array to check it (think old PowerBook batteries) would be a bit overkill too..

I was thinking about using the jack! A couple of others mentioned it on other threads a while ago. I'd wanna run some tests to see if you could rig it for pass-threw charging though.

Thank you for the feedback!! I don't often play live, I'm excited to see different perspectives,