Hey, I'm trying to connect my DMG-04 cable to my PS/2 cable, but I'm having a bit of a problem with connecting the two together. Basically I'm trying to figure out what goes from the DMG to the PS/2  any help would be greatly appreciated!

image hosting site

*edit
Ignore the blue and green wires, they're physically swapped in the picture but the correct way is what is listed on the paper.

Last edited by _Spoopy_ (Mar 26, 2015 7:29 am)

Aarhus, Denmark

Does this help maybe?

Hey, I'd be glad to help out with this. So, first things first, you're using the DMG-04. The problem with this cable is that it does not contain all the necessary pins. You need to perform what's called the "pin swap" by trash80. Basically, you have pins 1,2,3, and 6 in the DMG cable. However, pins 1,3,5, and 6 are required. Meaning you have to move pin 2 to the pin 5 position. Pin 5 is clock, which is needed to sync with the keyboard.

DMG-04 Cable:
/-----------------\
|   1    3    5   |
|   2    4    6   |
-------------------

Now that you have that out of the way, you need to connect the right cables.

Pin #
GB  PS/2  description
1     4    +5V/DCC
3     1     DATA/Serial In
5     5     Clock
6     3     Ground

You need to know exactly which wire in the ps/2 go to what pin in the connector. If zii.hrs is correct, then it is very easy. Unfortunately not all PS/2 keyboards are created equally, so they may not be exactly the same. If you have no multimeter, or continuity tester, then you will have to take a leap of faith and just do it according to the above schematic. Or, some keyboards will have the connector on the board labeled so you could use that.

DMG-04      Keyboard
Orange  ->  Red
Black   ->  White
Green   ->  Green
Blue    ->  Yellow

I got some of this information from xero's blog, and the LSDj wiki. Hope this helps! let me know if you need more help. I've messed around with these a lot.

Last edited by kuzimoto (Mar 26, 2015 2:10 pm)

kuzimoto wrote:

Hey, I'd be glad to help out with this. So, first things first, you're using the DMG-04. The problem with this cable is that it does not contain all the necessary pins. You need to perform what's called the "pin swap" by trash80. Basically, you have pins 1,2,3, and 6 in the DMG cable. However, pins 1,3,5, and 6 are required. Meaning you have to move pin 2 to the pin 5 position. Pin 5 is clock, which is needed to sync with the keyboard.

DMG-04 Cable:
/-----------------\
|   1    3    5   |
|   2    4    6   |
-------------------

Pin #
GB  PS/2  description
1     4    +5V/DCC
5     5     Clock
6     3     Ground

You need to know exactly which wire in the ps/2 go to what pin in the connector. If zii.hrs is correct, then it is very easy. Unfortunately not all PS/2 keyboards are created equally, so they may not be exactly the same. If you have no multimeter, or continuity tester, then you will have to take a leap of faith and just do it according to the above schematic. Or, some keyboards will have the connector on the board labeled so you could use that.

DMG-04      Keyboard
Orange  ->  Red
Black   ->  White
Green   ->  Green
Blue    ->  Yellow

I got some of this information from xero's blog, and the LSDj wiki. Hope this helps! let me know if you need more help. I've messed around with these a lot.

Awesome! That should help me a lot with getting this working, thanks so much!

No problem! Let me know if you encounter any issues. Also, double and triple check pin-outs and wiring. Before soldering anything I always wrote it down to make sure that I had everything right. Some pictures will show the female (port) version of the link or PS/2 connectors where the pinout is mirrored horizontally from the jack.

I hope everything I said is completely accurate, maybe someone else can double check it haha. But I'm pretty certain.

Baton Rouge, LA
kuzimoto wrote:

DMG-04 Cable:
/-----------------\
|   1    3    5   |
|   2    4    6   |
-------------------

Pin #
GB  PS/2  description
1     4    +5V/DCC
5     5     Clock
6     3     Ground

DMG-04      Keyboard
Orange  ->  Red
Black   ->  White
Green   ->  Green
Blue    ->  Yellow

I just attempted the trash80 pin swap. I pulled the blue wire/pin out and put it in the only open slot on the opposite side of the housing. The side with the angled edges. It was very simple to do but reading kuzimoto's pin diagram makes me second guess myself. From my understanding of the diagram I just moved 6 to 1 instead of 2 to 5. According to trash80's guide I did it correctly. Any thoughts/advice? As a side note, I do not have a PS2 keyboard yet. Got home from work and the DMG04 was in the mail. Was eager to start. Keyboard shopping this weekend.