West Yorks, UK

Double, sorry

Last edited by Domu (Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm)

It would be nice to be able to use more than 1 fx on each note....

West Yorks, UK

Wudb nice to edit any of the parameters for any of the effects, even if only having one per note..
Pico could easily be the new scenester lgpt/ renoise. Somebody get the author in here!

West Yorks, UK

Droid bug dbp

Last edited by Domu (Jun 28, 2016 9:35 pm)

Domu wrote:

Nope. I think?! Pretty much no. But pico is in alpha so hopefully lexaloffle is open to extending the self imposed limitations of at least the tracker.

I thought all pcio-8 'cartridges' were open source...

West Yorks, UK

The carts are.. Yes. The IDE and thus inbuilt tracker are not. Even the awesome colour scheme is cc licensed

West Yorks, UK

The carts are.. Yes. The IDE and thus inbuilt tracker are not. Even the awesome colour scheme is cc licensed

wheee... using oldskool memory writes for the reflection fx.

West Yorks, UK

Please share ur carts/ skills 4mat...... Please

Domu wrote:

Please share ur carts/ skills 4mat...... Please

I'll be putting a bunch of fx into one cart soon so I'll upload that at some point.   Few bits on the screen above though:

* The background scroller is on a fullsize map but I draw each vertical line of it separately at a different y position to get the sine wave.
* The vector bobs are just sprites, pico-8 can totally do a lot more of those but my z-sorting routine isn't optimized.  (I pulled it over from an old pc version)
* The mirror reflection at the bottom is using memcpy to copy the middle portion of the screen line by line in reverse order onto the bottom area in a loop.  The copy skips every other line so it looks a bit more like water by being distorted.

Near the end of the Pico doc file there's a description of the memory map for carts and graphics.  This is totally worth reading about because some demoscene effects can be done kinda like they're done on hardware with this info and you don't have to think up a way by using sprites or maps.  I don't know if that's faster or not but sometimes it's easier to work that way if you're trying to do custom screen effects.  (glitch and copying stuff)  You can also poke directly into a map and have a psuedo-character screen like the old 8-bits, avoiding having to update a load of sprites each time.  (good for chunky effects like plasmas)   In the tracker you can poke directly into the sfx and music tables at runtime and do procedural music and stuff.  There's a thread here which shows the file format.

Poland, Gdansk

http://blog.nextthing.co/accelerate-you … etc-h-i-p/ - essential update for the chip