Tacoma, WA

I thought some folks might enjoy this video:

It was put together buy cTrix and Dr. Abrasive and goes into a pretty in depth discussion about the Saturn internals. Here's to hoping for a flash interface for Sega Saturn roms!

Awesome !! The Sage Saturn sound chip is such a beast, the guy basically cracked the Sega Saturn (which is one of the most complex retro system to crack) just to play with its sound chip big_smile

Last edited by Stef (Jul 12, 2016 8:49 am)

Solar System

32 channels FM+PCM... Ohh I need Sega Saturn now. Its like Megadrive on steroids!

NUMBSKULL

This is possibly the highest quality production that has ever come out of the chip scene. cTrix, you rule. And Abrasive is basically my hero. that video was so easy to follow. Granted, he was short on some hairy details. I especially loved his explanation of the reverse engineering process.

Naptown

i saw this, and i was utterly amazed. very very cool shit

Unsubscribe

ps: he also made the derp cart big_smile

He's dreamy heart

Adelaide, Australia

Seriously heart

Solar System

What was that software with OSC and FM channels? Some tracker or sequencer?

Matej wrote:

What was that software with OSC and FM channels? Some tracker or sequencer?

Title bar reads "Saturn-Patcher2000//cTrix^DA 2016//Alpha 0.01". I'm gonna guess this is software cTrix is developing for working with the Saturn.

Matej wrote:

32 channels FM+PCM... Ohh I need Sega Saturn now. Its like Megadrive on steroids!

This is interesting news.

Wait wait, I don’t understand this part!

32 channels as 32 midi channels? (32 channels that can play 32 separate patches multitimbral) or 32 channels as 32 Polyphony?

Concerning the sound chip (YMF292 or Saturn Custom Sound Processor). If I understand it correctly then its only 32 if you only use 1-op pr. voice and maximum is 4-op? (Which is equal with a Yamaha FB-01?)

My next question would then be:
•    Would it be possible to integrate a midi-interface?

As far i know the YMF292 is midi compatible so the Midi interface should be easy to do.
The chip has 32 channels, each of these channels can be used as a single PCM channel or as a single FM operator where you can connect a maximum of 4 of them together. The crazy thing is that the basic waveform shape is totally free (and not constrained to a pre built sinusoidal shape as in classic OPN/OPM chips)... so you can modulate a female voice waveform using an explosion waveform for instance :-p

Last edited by Stef (Jul 27, 2016 4:45 pm)

Poland, Gdansk

Did anyone hear about THIS?

Last edited by scannerboy (Aug 3, 2016 3:22 pm)

scannerboy wrote:

Did anyone hear about THIS?

This is quite interesting as this “Rhea project” was from 2014 (2 years old).

The official homepage:
https://gdemu.wordpress.com