I released an album online and on CD back in 2014 that I produced entirely with Nanoloop on iOS, and can definitely share an opinion. The iOS version, including how you use all the functionality of the step sequencer is really different. I used it to make a more electro type album rather than a chiptune album. If making a more proper chiptune sound is your goal you're probably not exactly going to get from this what you would on the Gameboy cartridge version. I actually can't stand the Gameboy version compared to LSDJ as far as that goes, but the ease of control you get on the iOS Nanoloop is pretty awesome, and the real kicker is that you can import libraries of samples with relative ease. Furthermore, Nanoloop on iOS will let you tweak and alter those samples in lots of ways including pitch bending them on the fly.

So, my music kind of sucks I guess but the project I did was a bass CD (if you ever were familiar with the Bass Mekanik era where chest rattling car audio was a thing.) Just check it out:
http://bitpusher2600.net/g33k.html
The entire thing was produced purely in Nanoloop. You get simulate a chipish sound alongside more common electronic instrumentation (such as my tune Bassik Protocol) or pitch bend a couple samples and tweak timing (such as my tune Moonlit Bass which gives a small spectrum of piano notes.)

So there's that. Long story short; Nanoloop on iOS is fantastic and worth way more than its cost (in my opinion) for making all sorts of different styles of electronic music once you learn the many ins and outs of the software and realize just how much you can really do (the learning curve of getting the most out of it isn't what I'd call small.) If however you're wanting to make straight Gameboy music, this works practically nothing like the Gameboy relase whatsoever. Yeah there's a grid of squares that represents a step sequencer, but how the two work and getting around the software, nothing alike.

Melbourne
bitpusher2600 wrote:

Nanoloop on iOS is fantastic and worth way more than its cost (in my opinion) for making all sorts of different styles of electronic music once you learn the many ins and outs of the software and realize just how much you can really do

Interesting. I feel this way about nanoloop 2; with it I've managed to make stuff that sounds like it was made on high-end digital synths. My nanoloop tracks sit nicely in a playlist with my monomachine tracks—in fact, the few times I've synced the two, it's been difficult to tell which machine is which.

You guys are all awesome! Thanks a million for the varied feedback, it's all been really helpful and enlightening. I ended up preordering a 2.7 cart and putting the demo on a flash to get acclimated before it gets here. I guess I figure that even if I end up not liking it in the long term, the residual value seems to stay high on these things. I'm so used to lsdj at this point. I'm excited for something new, but fear the frustration of a learning curve. Though it's not like the music I'm currently making is particularly good anyhow.

Last edited by error (Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm)

The Forest, WA

Oliver laying down the law!

IL, US
error wrote:

I guess I figure that even if I end up not liking it in the long term, the residual value seems to stay high on these things

a good point.. chip gear usually tends to hold its value or go up

france

@pselodux : totaly agree with you.
I have the same feeling on my  monomachine and nanoloop 2.7 track smile
Oliver may have a monomachine or Elektron use nanoloop wink

yoyz2k wrote:

Oliver may have a monomachine or Elektron use nanoloop wink

pardon?

france

@oliver : So you don't have a elektron monomachine smile
For me the sound made by a monomachine or nanoloop 2.x are related, not too close, but it could sound similar. And the sequencer of both nanoloop and the monomachine are similar too.
it's a nice complimentary smile

i see. i have never used a monomachine, maybe i should.

thank you for the complimentary
smile

Last edited by oliver (Jul 20, 2016 7:47 pm)