Hey all. I am writing music for a home brew game and I am struggling with some super crazy intonation issues with the PSGs. Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

I have edited the dt knobs so that the pitches are neutral (0), and it's still bad. I've gone as far as properly tuning my FM instruments, but the problem persists.

I have links to the mp3 and will attach the VGe file later (no Internet so posting from phone):
Mp3 - Title Theme

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M4uesviecr (Aug 5, 2016 2:31 pm)

I know all about VGMM tracker. In about 5 or 6 hours, I should be able to help you out. Hang tight.

Alright, well I listened to your mp3 file. Personally, I don't see what's wrong. It sounds fine to me. Nice catchy and peppy tune!

Here's something I found out. The PSG chip is slightly out of tune with the actual FM chip. They are 2 separate chips trying to act as one. So there's a little disagreement in pitch. This is perfectly normal behavior, and some people enjoy this slightly detuned sound produced by the Sega Genesis.

If you want to make it more "in tune" you should change the DT value above or below zero until it gets a good as it can. I don't think you'll be able to achieve perfection, but my advice may help you come closer.

If you get the .VGE file posted soon, I can take a look-see at your mix balance, and see if I can fix it up.

Marc, you are wonderful!

I did some research on my own as well (though nothing about hardware) and I came to the same conclusion - the psgs will be out of tune. This hasn't been a problem for my other tracks, so I decided to edit the part-writing and it helped a bit. Push comes to shove, I'll just tell the dev that a little bite is mandatory. wink

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your generous help.