Sure, I'll post it here tomorrow I guess... will be released at CSDB and Sourceforge...

Oh, btw. I have the parts for 8 HerMIDIs 'on stock' if anyone is interested.
(I just need to assemble them on request when I have some free time.)

If someone will be so kind to send DAW MIDI-signal dumps to me, don't forget to contact me by email at [email protected]
(i prefer this faster way), and we can exchange information about testing and implementation...
(In receiver.prg test-application of HerMIDI I implemented a dump feature, so the received MIDI-bytes can be saved on real C64 and can be sent to me for analizing...)

New York City

Hey hermit, nice to see you here! wink I asked about MIDI sync on CSDb too.
I would be very happy to test this for you. I helped the guy making SIDStation with stuff and MIDI too. I have a fully working MIDI setup working and a Kerberos interface.

Regarding start/stop/pause, the standard is MIDI MMC, and you should stick to that. If any device or software does NOT use that for start/stop/pause commands, it can go fuck off to incompatibility land tongue I have had really bad tests with MIDI signals coming form a computer, it usually depends on the software and what type of MIDI USB interface you have. Results can be DISASTROUS.

Now I only use my real MIDI hardware like my MPC-1000 to test this kinda stuff. Rock solid MIDI signals and no bullshit added by no computer.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Oct 2, 2015 11:14 pm)

It woukd be great if sid-wizard could follow the midi clock. It would allow it to be a slave for lsdj.
For the different types of sync and controls, see here: http://tweakheadz.com/sync-mmc-mtc-smpte/

Thanks guys for all the information about MMC/MTC/etc.
That came handy so I'll have more time for the actual implementation instead of spending time looking for proper articles...

It's not so clear for me from cyberic's linked article that MMC would be the ultimate solution, maybe I'll need to implement different sync-versions if it will be kinda easy to do...

We'll see...

New York City

Every MIDI enabled device I have responds to the same MIDI MMC commands no matter where they are sent from. So I would say it's pretty safe to use it.

MMC and MTC have different usages: MMC is used to send start and stop. between that , you have to keep devices synchronized, for exemple by using the midi clock.

Milwaukee, WI

Bump

Bump here too hmm  Too many projects and interests and too few time atm...sorry.
The good news is all my current projects are about SID in a way... :{)
check out my latest one, jsSID:
http://hermit.sidrip.com/jsSID.html
http://hermit.sidrip.com/player.html
(zip downloadable at hermit.sidrip.com)

With this you can make your SIDs playable at your webpage within browser, no need for Flash plugin..

Last edited by hermit (Feb 24, 2016 8:51 pm)

France

very cool js player, thank you Hermit!

Milwaukee, WI

Bump

Milwaukee, WI

plz?

The Forest, WA

Try defmon ? There's a midi sync device for it now

GLOOMS wrote:

Try defmon ? There's a midi sync device for it now

Yes but defmon can only be used as the master, right?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hermit wrote:

Bump here too hmm  Too many projects and interests and too few time atm...sorry.
The good news is all my current projects are about SID in a way... :{)
check out my latest one, jsSID:
http://hermit.sidrip.com/jsSID.html
http://hermit.sidrip.com/player.html
(zip downloadable at hermit.sidrip.com)

With this you can make your SIDs playable at your webpage within browser, no need for Flash plugin..

This is super cool and I hope I can do something neat with this soon!

Italy

I'm currently planning to make a little EP experiment with SIDwizard, since that seems to be the most interesting solution for the c64 right now. The plan would be to use SIDwizard in conjunction with the LXR drum machine, so I can use the SID just for melody/harmony and don't have to use for drums, which is something I'm not very fond of.
So this poses the problem of MIDI sync, which has been discussed here previously. Maybe adding some info on what I plan to do could be useful?
Running two devices in sync (c64 and the drum machine) requires that either of these acts as a master. In theory I could do this one way or the other, i.e. both could act as the master. If i use SIDwizard as the master, this would have to output 2 realtime messages: transport start/stop and the sync. This way the two devices could always work as one.

@hermit: if you're planning to build more HerMIDIs let me know, I can also help with testing if you want.

Austria

Hi all! I have struggled with syncing C64 sounds with other hardware (GameBoys/LSDJ/Nanoloop, Korg Volcas, ...) a long time. I also use the great Kerberos cart!

My ideal setup would sync SID-Wizard, but that seemed impossible unfortunately. And I don't want to use the C64 as a synthesizer - like it's easy via MIDI with cynthcart, station64 (ultra amazing!), ... but needs a MIDI sequencer. I want to have no Laptop or any PC or other MIDI sequencer. Just the "retro gear" so to say.

So to make it short: I made it!!! big_smile

Due to the open source of SID-Wizard (thank you hermit!!!) I modified SID-Wizard, restyled it, and added an analogue sync feature. Of course it means SID-Wizard must be the master.
But that is cool for me.
In this way I have now SID-Wizard, 2 GameBoy DMGs (LSDJ) and 3 Korg Volcas (bass, keys, sample) in sync - which is wayyys too much big_smile ! One C64 and one LSDJ make quite incredible sound togehter. This really is my dream setup!! And I can tracker everything big_smile

Also I have built a sync device - which is not necessary at all - but it allows me to have a delayed sync. That means I can adjust how many milliseconds the sync should be finetuned. Because in SID-Wizard - the first two frames do hardrestart usually, while LSDJ in this time alrready produces sound.

I plan to set up a page for that stuff ... stay tuned wink

cheers, M64

Last edited by MARiO64 (May 16, 2017 11:46 am)