Does anyone happen to know the optical drive I should be looking for a Compaq Armada 7790DMT? All I have is the internal floppy disk and I don't seem to have my zip drives or whatever were used back then :L

Italy

Hey, I'm sorry for asking this reeeeal noob question and I don't want to open a thread so I'm writing this here:

I've got my hands on a working Toshiba Tecra 8100.
Even though it's kind of different from the previous model, the Tecra 8000 (at least as I've read online) it rocks some Yamaha DS-XG drivers which seem to be wavetable emulation.

I've also read that "properly configured" DS-XG drivers are working well with adlib tracker and such.
I've tried running adlib tracker on the laptop, it runs well, works and all but I get no audio, so I figured out I didn't configure the stuff I had to.
How do I do the thing? sad does anybody know?

Solar System

DEAR FELLOW TECRIANS!

I have Tecra 8000 and I am using OPL3-SAX driver.

Our Toshiba engineers provides us this ancient knowledge:
How to install:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/view … tId=108471

Windows driver:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/view … tId=105946

Our Yamaha scientists provides us this ancient knowledge:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/

(down is OPL3-SAX)!

Awe OPL3! In Soundblaster We Trust!

Last edited by Matej (Aug 19, 2016 4:47 pm)

Solar System

PS: Try also play with Adlibtracker setup!!!

Last edited by Matej (Aug 19, 2016 4:53 pm)

Hey dudes. I have been making music on real hardware. An IBM PS/2 with a Sound Blaster 16. Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/LmNVsH-mp14

It's been really fun but I'd really like to sequence my PS/2 externally using my Atari ST. I can't seem to find a dos program that is intended for using a Sound Blaster PC as a synthesizer. Everything I can find is a tracker that integrates synthesis and tracking or something that can play only a single MIDI channel (1 voice) at a time over MIDI.

Does anyone know of a program that would work for me?

thanks!

Hey dudes. I have been making music on real hardware. An IBM PS/2 with a Sound Blaster 16. Here is an example:

It's been really fun but I'd really like to sequence my PS/2 externally using my Atari ST. I can't seem to find a dos program that is intended for using a Sound Blaster PC as a synthesizer. Everything I can find is a tracker that integrates synthesis and tracking or something that can play only a single MIDI channel (1 voice) at a time over MIDI.

thanks!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
sean1978 wrote:

thanks!

Very nice videos smile Will definitely be looking into Audio Sim, looks cool.
As to using DOS PC as synth you might want to check out AdlibTracker II, the G3 ver 2.3.52 build has midi support and I think sort of midi synth mode. 
http://www.adlibtracker.net/downloads.php
There is Frequency Monster 801, but it's Win98/XP. It's more of a full on synth frontend.
http://fm801.kewl.org/app/about/
Yogi

Hello guys, I have the SB16 2740 and a midi/joystick cable with 2 midi cables, OUT and IN.

I can playback sounds from the card in my Casio Privia PX-310 keyboard, but I'd like to play the keyboard and use the SB16 as a synthesizer.

Although I plug the IN from the card in the OUT of the keyboard, I get no sound. What programs should I use? What should I configure?

Thank you.

By the way, I have Win98SE installed.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Like noted above, Freq Monster 801 and AT][, as far as I know.
Yogi

Europe

I have Pentium 2 powered Dell CPi A366XT laptop with NeoMagic NM2200 soundcard (AC97+SB emu?) running W98SE.
There is buzzing noise in Impulse Tracker but it disappears as soon as I start playback.
Anything I could tweak to improve the quality of sound?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let ya'll know that if you happen to have an Armada Station or an Armada Station II you can attach any Sound Blaster card into the ISA slot and practically turns your laptop into a desktop. If you get the Armada Station (beach gray) with a 7700 or 7300 model, your computer should be able to detect the docking station and practically work out the box, same with the Armada Station II (opal/black color) with a 7400 or 7800. If you're like me and happen to have a 7700 and a Armada Station II, you may have to take additional steps to make the docking station fully functional...

Before you actually go about getting the dock station working, I highly recommend ensuring you have your necessary drivers and every possible Windows 98 SE update installed along with the custom service packages (I think there's a site somewhere that has those all available as an .iso). But anyways what I had to do was...

1.) Download several Compaq drivers:
> The Docking Station Drivers (This for the 7800 but I went along and installed it on my 7700; Device Manager readjusted/corrected the docking station).
> System Rompaq
> User Rompaq Upgrade

2.) Download and burn a copy of this Sound Blaster installation disk and also have a copy of sbw9xup.exe sitting in a folder and it's completely unpacked (by running the program).

3.) Disable your ESS Audio (the one that plays the FM-synthesis) in the Device Manager but leave the other ESS audio device enabled; then turn off the entire setup.

4.) Put your Sound Blaster card into the docking station in the back.

5.) Install the card by using the Sound Blaster installation disc you made and once that's done you'll be prompted to reset (again).

6.) Check your Device Manager and you *should* see an MPU-401 with a yellow exclamation point; right click and search for the drivers and Windows 98 will do a search for the things that need to be installed. You should see "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE-32" along with MPU-401; go about the installation.

7.) Remember that sbw9xup.exe and the files it unpacked? Well, when you're trying to install the the Sound Blaster card, it'll ask for some sort of configuration file, try to direct the installation towards where the folder is located.

8.) From there the device should be recognized completely and you'll need to reset.

9.) Given that we already installed the Sound Blaster through the installation disc and allowed Windows 98 to detect/enable it through the sbw9xup, the last step is to go into your Program Files > Creative > DRV > Diagnostic.exe and go through the process of testing and setting up the device. If you somehow encounter an error like the "Low DMA", you should go into your Device Manager and disable devices you aren't using; for instance I had to disable a non-existent Floppy Drive that was causing the error.

Oh and one last thing, make sure your jumpers are set correctly.

Planet Zaxxon

It's been awhile, but I just updated the links/pics from the original post, so everything should work now!!

Huntington / Poughkeepsie

Does anybody know anything about Native Mode on the Audiodrive ESS? I might be getting a laptop with an ESS card soon and I know that Native Mode has more operators but i can't find anything about software that lets you use it. Is the only way to make music in Legacy Mode or is there a tracker or some other software that utilizes all of the operators?

Thornhill, Scotland

Hiya Folks.
I have a Toshiba Libretto 100CT that I picked up to run Adlib2.

It was working fine and I was taking my first faltering steps with the program when, in a moment of utter madness, I installed Windows 98 SE from a setup file on the machine and since then I can't seem to get any sound out of Adlib2.
It also seemed to make the volume control vanish from the toolbar. 
Managed to find a replacement SNDVOL32.exe file and the volume control is back but no luck with Adlib2.
All other sound playback fine and Impulse Tracker recognises "Sound Blaster Pro".

Driver seems to be Yamaha OPL3-SAx WDM. There was defintelly a cheery OPL icon somewhere in the Control Panel which has vanished also. I can't be sure but it may have been Windows 98 installed on it and not SE, like an idiot I never checked.

UPDATE:

The lovely folks at the Adlib FB page pointed me in the direction of an updated OPL Driver.
The Libretto is now working like a charm!

http://device.yamaha.com/en/lsi/download/

Last edited by janza_slope (Jan 4, 2018 12:52 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

Just wanna say that I'm happy I made this post and that so many have been using it as a reference point!!!! yeeeee!!!

Planet Zaxxon

Just poppin in to say hello old friend