Italy

Hi everyone smile
I've written my first song on LSDJ and now I'm wondering how to record it.
First, generic questions
1) How do you usually record your music? (Mic on GB, aux, emulator etc)
2) Is it normal to post-process (editing, mixing etc) chip music or is it like against the idea behind chiptune?

Now, some questions regarding me specifically. I have a BennVenn cartridge loaded with LSDJ 4.7 (and other trackers) and play it on GBA SP
1) I know there is an official BennVenn linker. Is it the only way to download savefiles from that cartridge or are there any other ways (like crafting one by yourselves or else)?
2) What if I linked the GBA to the PC via aux cable? Like, jack adaptor on GBA, aux to Pc audio card (or to guitar audio card with jack adaptor). Would there be some audio loss/distortion or would it be acceptable? I would try it myself but I'm still waiting for the GBA jack adaptor

Thanks for your help smile

Italy

My first tracks were just straight GB -> computer's line in
I stepped up to an external soundcard because I needed to record guitars and other stuff as well, and it improved quality overall

Some people like raw sounds, some like soft post-processing, some like hard post-processing.
That's because sometimes you may want to make a track exclusively on the original hardware, while sometimes you may want to blend different elements. There are no limits in music, just do what you like.

About the specific questions:
I have little knowledge of non-EMS carts, but nitro2k01 realized a flasher called Altane, which probably you can buy somewhere.
About the gba -> pc connection, of course it's possible but you have to connect it to a line level input (not to the microphone one). If you're using an external sound card be sure you can also set it to line levels.

Italy

Thanks a lot Merutochan, very exhaustive. I'll simply go through my guitar audio card and use my usual recording program to do the rest big_smile

IL, US
Merutochan wrote:

About the gba -> pc connection, of course it's possible but you have to connect it to a line level input (not to the microphone one). If you're using an external sound card be sure you can also set it to line levels.

lots of sound cards (especially ones built in laptops) use the same input for mic and line, there's just a setting you need to change.. in win7, it's the "Microphone Boost" slider, just set it all the way down to 0 for line in. if connecting a mic, +10db is generally good.. earlier versions of windows just have a check box for "Microphone Boost" which you would just uncheck for line level input

1) I have a cable from my GBP to a Zoom H2n recorder, which I use as a USB input device on my Macbook Pro. My old Macbook had a switchable socket between input and output, but the new one is headphones only.
2) I haven't done any post-processing so far, looking at mixing other instruments in at some point.

Italy

Thanks to all for your help big_smile